Banana Cream Pie with homemade flaky pie crust
This is a very creamy banana cream pie with a homeade flaky crust. The secret in the cream is the addition of the vanilla ice cream and pudding.
- 1 large Vanilla instant pudding Can use pudding you have to boil as well
- 1 pint Vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can whipped cream May use cool whip as well
- 2-3 large bananas Not too ripe, little green to them
Flaky pie crust
- 1 lb lard may use shortening if store does not have lard
- 5 cups flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- cold water
Banana Cream filling
In a large mixing bowl combine instant vanilla pudding and 2 cups of milk
Once you have mixed up pudding with milk then add a pint of vanilla ice cream. Do slowly and gage the thickness of your cream. If you add too much ice cream, the cream will be too runny and it won't sent well when refrigerated
Flaky pie crust
Preheat oven to 475°. In a large mixing bowl, combine lard, flour and sugar and set aside
In a measuring cup add the one beaten egg, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and cold water to equal out 1 cup.
Poor over dry ingredients and work to combine with a pastry blender until dough has formed well. No dry ingredients should be left.
Roll out dough on a flat surface. Roll out until you have what resembles a dome. Put dough on and in pie pan and flute crust. Cut off extra dough around the egdes.
Put in oven for 8-10 minutes. Crust should be light golden brown on the inside and on top of pie. Take out and let cool.
Once crust has cooled down add in sliced bananas to bottom of pie crust. Add cream on top. Chill in refrigerator for 4 hours to set
Once pie has set add on whipped cream and serve
- The dough for the pie crust makes up to 3 crusts. Be sure to wrap tightly in cling wrap and seal in large freezer bag. Can stay good up to 6 months.
- Eat Banana cream pie right away and will only stay good for about 3 days in fridge.
- Putting in freezer may cause the crust to become soggy do I don't recommend it.
Serving: 8peopleCalories: 526kcalCarbohydrates: 94gProtein: 15gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 94mgPotassium: 532mgFiber: 6gSugar: 27gVitamin A: 3245IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 293mgIron: 4mg