I am pretty sure that Winnie the Pooh would approve of this breakfast. These Whipped Coffee Honey Donuts are a great way to start your day. A sweet and moist honey donut that is sprinkled with a crunchy crumb mixture and baked to perfection. Lastly, it is topped off with a creamy and rich whipped coffee. My lips are smacking just seeing the picture above. No really, this is literally the new breakfast of champions. You don't want to miss out on them!
What is whipped coffee all about?
So I have to admit, I was super stoked to try and recipe with whipped coffee. I am a lover of Tik Tok and can scroll for hours watching the hilarious things people do. However, once in a while you learn how to make some great recipes as well. This is where I learned about whipped coffee.
Another term used for this is" Dalgona" Coffee. South Koreans named it this because it tastes like Korean honeycomb toffee dalgona. I don't care who the hell came up with it, it's crazy delicious!
The honey crumb donuts recipe was adapted from Jamie Geller. I then added my own flair and threw in the whipped coffee. It works well and is the best combination ever!
Ingredients for donuts
- Vegetable Oil: May use Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Canola Oil
- Light Brown Sugar
- Large eggs
- Sour cream
- All-purpose Flour: Both of donut and crumb mixture
- Ground Cinnamon: another spice you could add would be fresh grated nutmeg.
- Vanilla Extract
- Instant Coffee: has to be instant, ground coffee will not whip up right
- Hot water
How to make the honey donuts
This recipe is super simple and doesn't take much time at all. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the standard large donut pans with shortening or non-stick spray. Set aside.
In your stand mixer fitted with he paddle attachment, add in the honey, oil and light brown sugar and mix until smooth (the mixture may stick to the bottom and sides of the bowl, so scrape with spatula as needed). Next, add in the eggs and sour cream and beat until incorporated. Lastly, pour in the flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and vanilla. The mixture will be thick, so don't be alarmed.
Either pipe or spoon in donut batter into prepared donut pans Smooth out the batter on top with on off set spatula. Then, sprinkle crumb mixture (about 1 tbsp) on top of each donut (yields 24). Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the edges of the donuts are golden brown.
Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove gently. Transfer donuts to wire racks to cool completely.
How to make whipped coffee
To tell you the truth, I am not a huge coffee person at all, and I am sure all the SAHM's out there just cringed a bit! However, after making this, I have converted to the other side and will make this whipped masterpiece a part of my morning routine! It is so incredibly easy to make and it is what I need in my life with three young kiddos!
Please see my video below on how to make whipped coffee. Three ingredients, it's that easy! However, I did fold some extra vanilla in it to help sweeten it up a bit!
Donuts to enjoy!
Whipped Coffee Honey Donuts
- Kitchen aid stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Silicon Spatula
- Oster electric hand mixer with whisk attachment
- 2 standard size donut pans
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 tablespoon Folgers Instant coffee
- 4 tablespoon water hot
- 4 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease two large standard donut pans and set aside.
- In a bowl with an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the oil, brown sugar, and honey until smooth. Scrape sides of and bottom of bowl as needed since honey may stick to both.
- Mix in the eggs and sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and vanilla.
- You can use a piping bag or a large spoon to fill the donut pans with the batter. Fill and smooth out the batter on top.
- In a small bowl, add in the flour, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon. Pour in the vegtable oil and mix with hand until large crumbs form.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of the crumb coating on each donut before putting in the oven.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until the edges of the donuts are light brown. Cool for about 5 minutes in the pan. Carefully take donuts out of the pan and transfer onto wire racks to finish cooling.
- In a small bowl, add in the instant coffee grounds, granulated sugar and hot water. Using a hand mixer with whisk attachment, mix on medium high speed until stiff peaks form. Spoon on donuts immediately for best flavor.
- In an airtight container, put in fridge for 1 week without the whipped coffee topping.
Fun fact of the day!
Apparently coffee drinkers are less likely to contract a deadly disease. I wonder if this holds true for the Coronavirus!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.