OMG it is fall in the air here in Wisconsin and nothing gets me more in the mood for my divine vanilla cupcakes with maple buttercream frosting.
The vanilla cupcake is sweet and moist. Maple buttercream frosting is rich and pairs perfectly with the vanilla flavor in the cupcake. In addition, pecan sprinkles make it a favorite fall time dessert.
Please check out another dessert of mine that has all the gooey goodness, the pumpkin dump cake. It does not taste how it sounds I promise!
Since we haven't had time to take the kids to apple picking or the pumpkin farm I thought that I would make this dessert to give them a taste of fall.
I feel that anything with maple in it really screams fall. My kids literally love maple syrup and will eat it on anything (no not on spaghetti like Buddy the Elf), but on anything sweet!
Ingredients and substitutions
- All-purpose flour: cake flour can be used as well.
- Unsalted butter: I always recommend butter without the salt because the amount of salt in the salted butter varies with each pound and alters the taste of the baked goods.
- Vanilla extract: If you are short on pure extract, use the vanilla bean paste. It is more concentrated and will enhance the vanilla flavor a bit more. I always stock both in my pantry!
- Pure maple syrup: I used Michele's pure syrup for this recipe. Generic maple syrup is artificial and doesn't taste them same when making the buttercream frosting.
- Maple extract: for added enhancement of the maple flavor in the frosting.
Why are these cupcakes divine?
- Made with a mom's love
- Soft and moist
- Served at any special occasion
- Because it has maple syrup
How to make the divine cupcakes
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake tins with either liners or non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Second, in another bowl and with a hand mixer, mix together your eggs and sugar until light. Gradually pour in the melted butter and vanilla extract. While mixing slowly, alternate between dry ingredients and milk until combined well. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners within the pans.
Third, bake between 18-20 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean. This makes about 24 cupcakes. Let cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes before frosting.
Maple buttercream frosting
With a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter on high for 6 minutes. Then, add in your salt, maple flavoring, and maple syrup until combined. Next, add confectioner's sugar and heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency. Frost those delicious bad boys and sprinkle pecans on top! Serve and enjoy!
You need the right amount of wet ingredients and fats such as butter or oil to make each cupcake moist.
Maple frosting is made up of pure maple syrup, maple extract, butter, and confectioner's sugar.
My favorite cupcakes!
- Lucky charms ice cream cupcakes
- Ferrero Rocher cupcakes
- Funfetti cupcakes recipe
- The Ultimate chocolate chunk cupcakes
Vanilla cupcake with maple buttercream frosting
- Electric mixer with beaters
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cupcake tins with liners
- 1½ Cup all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ sticks butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
Maple buttercream frosting
- 1½ cup butter, room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp maple extract
- ⅛ cup Sendik's 100% maple syrup
- handful of crushed pecans
- 1-2 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- Preheat over to 350°. Position rack in the middle of the oven. Line 2 standard cupcake tins with liners
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with hand mixer until light and foamy (about 2 minutes). While beating, gradually pour in melted butter and then the vanilla.
- While mixing slowly, add half of the flour mixture. Then add the milk, followed by the remaining flour mixture. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake until a cake tested or toothpick comes out clean in the center of the cupcakes. Bake for 18-20 minutes for standard cupcakes
- Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes on a rack before frosting.
Maple buttercream frosting with pecan sprinkle
- With a stand mixer and paddle attachment, mix room temperature butter on a fast speed for 6 minutes.
- Add in salt, maple flavoring and maple syrup.
- Add in confectioners sugar and mix at a medium to fast speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add in 2-3 tablespoon of heavy cream and mix for additional 5 minutes until light and creamy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
Fun fact for the day!
About 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year! Jesus, so my fear of going into a porta potty and having it tip over could actually happen to me! Watch out for those lids people!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.