OMG it is fall in the air here in Wisconsin and nothing gets me more in the mood for my Vanilla cupcakes with maple buttercream frosting. The leaves are changing and pumpkins are everywhere! We’ve actually had our first frost already and the fireplace has been on. Love me some fall!
The vanilla cupcake is sweet but the maple buttercream frosting is rich and pairs well with it. The pecan sprinkles were a last minute added bonus!
Please check out another dessert of mine that has all the goeey goodness, the pumpkin dump cake. It does not taste how it sounds I promise!
SInce we haven’t had time to take the kids to apple picking or the pumpkin farm I thought that I would make this dessert to give them a taste of fall. I know, I know we are parents of the year over here, but we have been super busy with other things!
I feel that anything with maple in it really screams fall. My kids literally love maple syrup and will eat it on anything (no not on spaghetti like Buddy the Elf), but on anything sweet!
Don’t get me wrong, I love anything with apple in it and the tradtional pumpkin desserts, but I just wanted to be different this year!
I am not going to lie, I loathe any pumpkin drinks. I am a Starbucks junkie and that one I never have on mobile order. Especially when they start advertising in the middle of August when it is still 90 degrees. I am more of a caramel apple spice girl!
So what makes these vanilla cupcakes with maple buttercream frosting and pecan sprinkles so special you ask? Well….duh…its because I made them with love. My mom always said that things taste better when your mom makes something. Damn, she was right again! Studies actually show that is a true statement.
How to make the Vanilla Cupcakes with maple buttercream frosting
Start out with preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake tins with either liners or non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In another bowl and with a hand mixer, mix together your eggs and sugar until light and foamy. Gradually pour in the melted butter and vanilla extract. While mixing slowly, alternate between dry ingredients and milk until all combined well. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners within the pans.
Since these were standard cupcakes, bake between 18-20 minutes or when cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. This makes about 24 cupcakes.Let cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes before frosting.
With the stand mixer and paddle attachment, mix room temperature butter on fast for 6 minutes. Then add in your salt, maple flavoring and maple syrup until combined. Add in your confectioner’s sugar and heavy cream until you reach your desired consistency. Frost those delicious bad boys and sprinkle pecans on top!
What makes the buttercream frosting so delicious you ask? Well on top of the maple flavoring that I add, I also use Sendik’s 100% maple syrup. I only add about 1/8 of a cup, but it really does the trick! It just gives it that extra sugar rush that we all love!
Vanilla cupcake with maple buttercream frosting
- Electric mixer with beaters
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cupcake tins with liners
- 1½ Cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ sticks butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
Maple buttercream frosting
- 1½ cup butter, room temperature
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp maple extract
- ⅛ cup Sendik's 100% maple syrup
- handful of crushed pecans
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Preheat over to 350°. Position rack in the middle of the oven. Line 2 standard cupcake tins with liners
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with hand mixer until light and foamy (about 2 minutes). While beating, gradually pour in melted butter and then the vanilla.
- While mixing slowly, add half of the flour mixture. Then add the milk, followed by the remaining flour mixture. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake until a cake tested or toothpick comes out clean in the center of the cupcakes. Bake for 18-20 minutes for standard cupcakes
- Let cupcakes cool for 10 minutes on a rack before frosting.
Maple buttercream frosting with pecan sprinkle
- With a stand mixer and paddle attachment, mix room temperature butter on a fast speed for 6 minutes.
- Add in salt, maple flavoring and maple syrup.
- Add in confectioners sugar and mix at a medium to fast speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add in 2-3 tbsp of heavy cream and mix for additional 5 minutes until light and creamy.
- Once cupcakes are frosted, sprinkle crushed up pecans on top
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
Fun fact for the day!
About 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year! Jesus, so my fear of going into a porta potty and having it tip over could actually happen to me! Watch out for those lids people!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.