Want a way to win your significant other over this Valentine’s Day? You make them this Valentine’s Day Piecaken! It is a double crust strawberry pie within a devil’s food cake. It is topped with a mulled strawberry buttercream frosting. When you put anything chocolate with strawberry, you just can’t go wrong. It will for sure tell someone you REALLY love them.
I have really enjoyed making this hybrid dessert. You all should also try my Caramel Apple Pie Piecaken as well. I made this one during Thanksgiving and couldn’t get enough of it. My family members still rave about it! So please for the love of all that is Holy, please try them!
Kicking off Valentine's Day
I am not going to lie, I have always thought Valentine’s Day is just a cheesy Hallmark holiday, but a dessert like this would definitely win my heart over. Hint, Hint for the hubby! Who the hell am I kidding, I wouldn’t trust him in the kitchen with this! Sorry Bill!
I am a sucker for anything chocolate and strawberry, so why not put it together? So when I came up with this concoction, I was pleasantly surprised. The sweet buttercream really enriches the flavor in the strawberry pie and the Devil’s food chocolate cake with each bite just brings it all together.
Stay tuned for further desserts I have up my sleeve for the big V-Day!
the Valentine's Day Piecaken Process
First you start out with the pie crust. In a large mixing bowl, put your lard, granulated sugar, and 5 cups of flour. Beat a large egg and put in a measuring cup (1 cup) with 1 tbsp of lemon juice and fill it up with ice cold water. Pour over the dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter to blend.
Once blended form dough into a ball and cut into 2 sections. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes. Once out of the fridge let sit to room temp, place on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/4 in thick. Place in the bottom of a 9 in pie pan. Set other ball of dough aside until ready to place on top of pie.
The Strawberry filling is pretty simple to make and so sweet to eat. The smell of it reminded me of my Strawberry Shortcake doll from my childhood that blew strawberry kisses. Anyone born in the 80’s know exactly what I mean.
Wash and cut your fresh strawberries and place in a mixing bowl. Pour granulated sugar, cornstarch and ground cinnamon on top. Mix well. Pour into the pie crust that is already in the pan.
Roll out your other ball of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4 in thick. Place on top of strawberry filling and pinch around the edges to close. Flute pie if you would like, but it doesn’t really matter if the crust is perfect for the purposes of this cake. Cut slits in the top of pie to vent. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Top will be golden brown.
Devils Food Cake mix
Prepare cake mix as directed on the box. If you are feeling really motivated, you can make from scratch.
Mulled Strawberry BUttercream frosting
In a saucepan, put your cut strawberries on medium heat and put in lemon juice and sugar. Smash strawberries down until the are pureed. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the strawberries into a bowl and discard pureed ones. Cover and put in fridge to cool.
In a large stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix room temperature butter on medium for 5 minutes. Pour in 1/4 cup of the strawberry mixture. Add in confectioner’s sugar. To get your desired consistency, you may have to add more confectioner’s sugar. Set aside until ready to use.
Putting it all together
Turn oven to 350 degrees. Grease your 9 in springform pan with crisco. Pour in half of the Devils’ food cake batter in the bottom of the pan. Put the strawberry upside down on top of the cake batter (will be a tight fit, don’t worry). Then put the rest of the Devils food cake batter on top of pie.
Place in oven for 90 minutes. Half way through put tin foil all around the edges of cake as they cook faster than the center. Cake is done when center is set. Cool for 2 hours or more before frosting. You will then have assembled a Valentines Day Piecaken! Reward yourself by eating it!
I actually sealed mine in an airtight container overnight and then frosted it the next day. It will stay good for up to 3 days in fridge in airtight container.
Valentine's Day Piecaken
- Kitchen aid stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9 in pie pan
- 9 in Nordicware springform pan
- Rubber spatula
- cake decorating stand
- Rolling pin
- pastry blender
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten well
- 1 lb lard
- cold water
- 2 pint fresh strawberries cut
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Duncan Hine's devil's food cake mix
Strawberry Buttercream frosting
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened to room temp
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- In a large mixing bowl add your lard, 5 cups of all purpose flour and granulated sugar. Then, in a 1 cup measuring cup add your beaten egg, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and then fill the rest of the cup up with cold water. Pour over dry ingredients and mix with a pastry cutter.
- Form into a large ball and chill for 30 minutes. Once it has chilled and reached room temperature again, place on a floured surface and roll out to about a ¼ in thick. Place in the bottom of a greased 9 in pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 425. Wash and cut your strawberries into halves. Place in a large bowl and pour in sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon and mix well. Once it is mixed well, place in the bottom of the crust in pie pan.
- On a floured surface, take additional pie dough and roll out to a ¼ in thick. Place on top of the strawberry filling. Vent center with 4 slits. Brush top of pie with milk and sprinkle sugar on top. Put in oven for about 30-35 minutes. Top will be golden brown in color.
- Put pie in fridge overnight. It sets better within the cake if it is made the day before.
Devils Food cake
- Prepare Duncan Hine's cake mix as directed on box. Set aside.
Mulled Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- In a sauce pan, place freshly cut strawberries on medium heat. Put in lemon juice and sugar. Smash down berries into a pureed. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, beat softened butter for 5 minutes. You then strain your strawberries and place the juice in fridge to cool. Discard pureed strawberries.
- Once the mixture has cooled in fridge take ¼ cup and put into butter, add your sifted confectioner's sugar and mix until you get desired consistency.
Assembling the piecaken
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 9 in spring form pan with crisco. Pour half of the devil's food cake mix to the bottom of the springform pan. Place your double crust strawberry pie upside down on top of the cake batter. Then add the rest of the cake batter. It will be a tight fit, so don't worry. Tap pan on counter to help distribute the batter all around the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Half way through place tinfoil around the edges of the cake. The edges will cook faster and will burn if this is not done. Once the center is set the cake is done.
- Wait at least 2-3 hours before frosting. Once frosted, then serve. Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Make pie the day before as it has time to set and cool
- I recommend that once the dessert is done to let it cool for 1-2 hours and then store in an airtight container and frost the next day.
- Will stay good when stored in the airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
Fun fact of the day!
Every year, kids in North America spend close to a half a billion dollars on chewing gum. I would agree with this. Norah contributes to this statistic!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.