Calling all lovers of those magical majestic horses! These amazing pastel unicorn cookies are just so pretty! Easy to make and just what I needed after the hustle and bustle of the holiday season and my at home bakery business!
Three colors of a sugar cookie dough rolled out, coiled around, and dipped in pink nonparelis! These were just the ticket to end 2020 and my daughter LOVED making them! Did I mention, they taste as good as they look?
- All-purpose flour
- Vegetable shortening
- Granulated sugar
- Gel/Icing food coloring: I used Wilton's icing colors for this recipe
- Wilton pink non-parelis
Step by step instructions
- Sift and combine dry ingredients: Sift and combine the flour, salt, cornstarch and baking powder into a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients: In another bowl, using an electric mixer, blend together the butter, sugar and vegetable shortening until light and fluffy. Next, add in the egg, mix well and then add in the egg white. Lastly, add in the vanilla extract.
- Combine dry with wet ingredients: Mix dry and wet ingredients until just combined.
- Add in the food coloring: Separate the dough into three balls and add each color. With electric mixer blend each color into each ball of dough (clean and rinse in between). Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the dough from fridge and assemble: Take out doughs from fridge and let it come to room temperature. Once room temperature: take a little piece of from each color and roll into a ball. Next, roll the ball into a log (7-10 inches) and then coil it up. Roll the edges in sprinkles.
- Bake and enjoy: Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet! Enjoy!
Please view the tutorial below to see how to assemble the unicorn cookies!
Tips and tricks
- Instead of a coil you can mix it up and roll into a ball and add a Hershey kiss as well
- You can mix and match the colors to get different blends for each cookie
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight to make sure the butter and shortening solidify.
Substitutions and variations
- Add different food coloring to your cookies to make different colors
- Add in colorful sprinkles versus the perils around or on your cookie
- Make into cookie cups or bars
- Make as a sandwich with different fillings in the center
- Substitute cake flour for all purpose flour
You sure can. Different flavors will work! Obviously stick to the lighter colors of cake mix so you have room to play with the colors of the cookies!
In an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets x2
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Electric mixer
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- pink, purple and blue food coloring
- ¼ cup non peril sprinkles I used pink
- Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper/silicon mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl and with electric mixer on medium, cream together the butter, vegetable shortening and sugar until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add in the large egg and mix until combined. Then, add in the egg white and vanilla and blend until completely combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide your dough into 3 bowls (you can add more colors if you would like).
- Take one ball of dough and add it back into the mixer and add desired colors (repeat for each color). Refrigerate for 1.5 hours.
- After the 1.5 hours is done, preheat oven to 375°. Take a small sized ball of each color (size of bouncy ball) an press them altogether into a ball. Roll between your palms until all combined (will look like a beach ball).
- Roll the ball into a cylinder and coil it into a round cookie shape. Roll the edges of the cookies in the pink non-perils. Bake for 10-12 minutes and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days
Fun fact of the day!
Johnny Depp is deathly afraid of clowns! We share the same fear, buddy!
Leave a Reply