My next creation was inspired by either my recent viewing of monkeys mating on the discovery channel, or the repetitive viewing and listening of 5 little monkeys on youtube? Nevertheless, I bring you delicious skinny chunky monkey cupcakes!
These low calorie cupcakes are loaded with bananas, semi sweet chocolate chunks, and then piped with luscious peanut butter whipped cream! Eating this healthy has never been so satisfying! Stuffing these little monkeys in your mouth will not leave you feeling any kind of guilt!
- Ripe bananas: 4-5 medium smashed
- Canola oil
- Turbinado sugar
- Whole wheat white flour
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Peanut butter
- Confectioner's sugar
First, line two standard cupcake tins with cupcake liners. In a large mixing bowl, add in smashed bananas, canola oil, eggs, applesauce, and turbinado sugar. Mix on medium speed until combined (batter will be soupy). Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In another mixing bowl whisk all the dry ingredients together. Slowly, add them into the wet ingredients. Fold in chocolate chunks.
Transfer batter to cupcake liners. Fill about ¾ full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Peanut butter buttercream:
Freeze the mixing bowl and beaters for 15 minutes before making whipped cream. It helps with making the whipped cream light and fluffy. Add in heavy cream, peanut butter, and confectioner's sugar to the mixing bowl. Mix on medium-high for 5-7 minutes until stiff peaks form. Pipe on to cupcakes and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- Line standard cupcake tins with liners: Mini cupcakes could also be made with this batter, just be sure to used non-stick spray. My daughter is obsessed with lining cupcake pans!
- Be sure to smash bananas up well with a spoon or food smasher. It is okay to leave some small chunks as they will blend up when making the cupcakes.
- Eggs should be at room temperature because they mix better with the batter and rise more easily. 15-20 minutes is an ideal time.
- To avoid over baking, set a timer and check centers with a cake tester or knife. If it comes out clean and tops are firm to touch, pull them from the oven.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack to ensure they stop baking
- Be sure to involve the kiddos as this recipe is easy to make and super kid friendly! My daughter loves to line the cupcake pans!
Substitutions and variations
- Substitute with all-purpose flour or cake flour
- Try a different flavor of buttercream such as vanilla or chocolate
- Add in some nuts such as pecans or walnuts to enhance flavor
- Substitute with granulated sugar
Frequently asked questions
Adding the applesauce and oil makes the cupcake very moist.
Chunky monkey cupcakes ever
- Electric hand mixer
- Home Decor
- 2 standard cupcake pans with liners
- Measuring cups and spoons
Chunky Monkey cupcake
- 2 cups bananas smashed; about 4-5 ripe bananas
- 1½ cups turbinado sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 cups whole wheat white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
Peanut butter whipped cream frosting
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 4 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
Chunky monkey cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 cupcake tins with liners. (I had enough for 27).
- Smash the 2 cups of ripe bananas. Add them in a large mixing bowl with oil, turbinado sugar, eggs and unsweetened applesauce. Mix on medium until well blended. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the banana mixture and mix on medium until fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Fill each cupcake liner ¾ full. Bake until the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a knife or toothpick (about 20-25 minutes). Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack for complete cooling.
Peanut butter whipped cream frosting
- Place a metal or glass mixing bowl and beaters into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer. Add in the heavy cream, confectioner's sugar and peanut butter. Beat with an electric mixer for 5-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe onto cupcakes, serve and enjoy!
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- Peanut butter whipped cream is good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Fun recipes to enjoy!
- Rainbow ice cream cones cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes with maple buttercream
- Lucky charms ice cream cupcakes
- Halloween cupcakes
Fun fact of the day!
Apparently you can't snore and dream at the same time! Interesting?