My next creation was inspired by either my recent viewing of monkeys mating on the discovery channel, or the repetitive viewing and listening of 5 little monkeys on youtube? Nevertheless, I bring you the most sinfully healthy delicious chunky monkey cupcakes ever!
These low calorie cupcakes are loaded with bananas, semi sweet chocolate chunks, and then piped with luscious peanut butter whipped cream! Eating this healthy has never been so satisfying! Stuffing these little monkeys in your mouth will not leave you feeling any kind of guilt!
What ingredients make these cupcakes so sinfully healthy?
- Ripe bananas: 4-5 medium smashed
- Turbinado sugar: Wholesome
- 3 large eggs: Make sure they are room temperature
- Canola Oil: lower in saturated fat that vegetable oil
- Whole wheat white flour: Gold medal. Just as healthy as whole wheat, but made with hard white wheat berries, giving it a sweeter flavor.
- Unsweetened applesauce: makes cupcakes moist and allows for less oil to be used.
- baking soda
- baking powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chunks: lower in calories than most regular chocolate chips.
- Heavy cream: Keto approved
- Peanut butter: Skippy all natural, less in sugar, but tastes just as great
- Confectioner’s sugar
Tips for baking Chunky MOnkey cupcakes
- Line standard cupcake tins with liners: Mini cupcakes could also be made with this batter, just be sure to used non-stick spray. My daughter is obsessed with lining cupcake pans!
- Be sure to smash bananas up well with a spoon or food smasher. It is okay to leave some small chunks as they will blend up when making the cupcakes.
- Eggs should be at room temperature because they mix better with the batter and rise more easily. 15-20 minutes is an ideal time.
- To avoid over baking, set a timer and check centers with a cake tester or knife. If it comes out clean and tops are firm to touch, pull them from the oven.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack to ensure they stop baking
- Be sure to involve the kiddos as this recipe is easy to make and super kid friendly! My daughter loves to line the cupcake pans!
How to make chunky monkey cupcakes
First, in a large mixing bowl add in your smashed bananas, canola oil, eggs, applesauce and turbinado sugar. Mix on medium speed until well blended (batter will be soupy).
Second, in another mixing bowl whisk all your dry ingredients together. Add them slowly to the wet ingredients. Fold in chocolate chunks.
Lastly, spoon in batter into the cupcake liners. Fill about 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
The best peanut butter whipped cream ever!
I am a lover of all whipped creams, but this one has to be one of my favorites! Did I mention it is a much healthier alternative to buttercream for cupcakes?
First, it is important to freeze your mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes before making this whipped cream. It’s the fat in cream that helps trap the air bubbles that make it light and fluffy. If it gets too warm, the fat melts and the air escapes.
Second, you add the heavy cream, peanut butter, and confectioner’s sugar to the cold bowl. Mix on medium-high for 4-7 minutes until stiff peaks form!
Lastly, pipe the whipped cream onto the cupcakes and enjoy!
The most sinfully healthy chunky monkey cupcakes ever
- Electric hand mixer
- Home Decor
- 2 standard cupcake pans with liners
- Measuring cups and spoons
Chunky Monkey cupcake
- 2 cups bananas smashed; about 4-5 ripe bananas
- 1½ cups turbinado sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 cups whole wheat white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
Peanut butter whipped cream
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 4 tbsp confectioner's sugar
Chunky monkey cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 cupcake tins with liners. (I had enough for 27).
- Smash the 2 cups of ripe bananas. Add them in a large mixing bowl with oil, turbinado sugar, eggs and unsweetened applesauce. Mix on medium until well blended. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the banana mixture and mix on medium until fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Fill each cupcake liner ¾ full. Bake until the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a knife or toothpick (about 20-25 minutes). Cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack for complete cooling.
Peanut butter whipped cream
- Place a metal or glass mixing bowl and beaters into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer. Add in the heavy cream, confectioner's sugar and peanut butter. Beat with an electric mixer for 5-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe onto cupcakes, serve and enjoy!
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- Peanut butter whipped cream is good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
fun fact of the day!
Apparently you can’t snore and dream at the same time! Interesting?