Well….I chose another hybrid this week! Schmurros or what I call the most ooey gooey churro smores recipe! Nonetheless, this will be the dessert added to any camping trip in the near future. A golden fried churro rolled in the classic cinnamon/sugar mixture, dipped in ooey gooey marshmallow, and then drizzled with Hershey’s milk chocolate.
These little golden fried delights were distributed amongst friends at a neighborhood birthday party last night and were gone in two seconds flat! Thank God for that because I am a grazer and I would have most likely polished off several of these bad boys before bed!
What is a SMores Churro?
This little hybrid dessert came into the scene in 2017 in Disney land. It was first seen at the Critter country for the reopening of Fantasmic. They dip their churro in graham crackers and then serve it with a chocolate marshmallow sauce. It was then brought back to the parks in 2019.
However, many variations of this hybrid dessert have been made since the first launch of it. I have seen churro dough made into a sandwich, making it more like the traditional smores, and then some layering of the marshmallows and chocolate in between each churro. I chose to dip one end of my churro in marshmallow and the drizzle chocolate on top!
Any variation chosen will be delicious! This is one dessert that you just can’t screw up!
Ingredients for the most Ooey gooey churro smores recipe
- Butter: Unsalted
- Granulated Sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla Extract
- Vegetable oil: canola, peanut, corn or light olive oil can also be used.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Gelatin powder
- Hershey’s milk chocolate bars
Can the churros be made ahead of time?
Churro dough may be made a day before and stored in an airtight container overnight. Fried and sugared churros are best served hot, but may be kept warm in an oven at 200 degrees for up to an hour.
I made my ooey gooey churro smores recipe early in the day, but kept in a warming tray until the neighborhood birthday party that was in the evening! They were perfect!
Tips and tricks for churro success!
- Be sure to set the oil temperature to 350 degrees! Your churros will be fried to the perfect golden color. Too hot of temperature will burn them quickly.
- Cut churro strips with scissors or knife, you can also pipe into round churros for sandwiches
- Use marshmallow within 5 minutes of making as it starts to set. If you do make ahead of time, it is okay to put a little bit of water in your marshmallow and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds to soften it up again.
- I used Hershey’s chocolate bars, but other baking chocolate bars or chips can be used.
- The marshmallow can be charred to make it even more gooey.
- Roll churros in cinnamon/sugar mixture while still warm
How to and assembly of churro smores
Other hybrid you should try
The most ooey Gooey churro smores recipe
- Deep fryer or large pot
- Electric hand mixer
- Stand Mixer with whisk attachment
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Piping bag with ½ in star tip
- 1 cup water
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2½ tsp gelatin 1 package
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup milk chocolate Hershey's bars
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, butter, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Add flour in butter mixture. Stir briskly until a ball forms. Put dough into a mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- WIth an electric hand mixer on medium speed, beat half of the egg mixture until just combined. Mix in the remaining egg mixture until completely smooth.
- In your frying pan or electric fryer, heat the oil to 350°.
- Set up a piping bag with a star tip and fill it with half of the dough.
- Squeeze 3-4 inch lengths of dough into the hot oil. Use your non dominant hand to squeeze and your dominant hand to cut the lengths off with scissors or a knife.
- Fry churros 4 at a time for 2-3 minutes on each side. Turn with a slotted spoon.
- When golden brown, remove to a paper-lined plate to drain.
- While still warm, gently coat with sugar cinnamon mixture and set aside.
- Pour in ⅓ cup of cold water with the one packet of gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer. Let it bloom for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and ¼ cup of water. Stir over a medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Stop stirring, and place candy thermometer into the sugar water. Boil until the sugar reaches the soft ball stage (238°).
- Remove syrup from heat; add to the softened gelatin. Hand stir with a whisk for a couple of minutes while cooling down. Place bowl on the mixer stand. Beat on medium-high with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form and the marshmallow holds shape (8-10 minutes).
- In a microwavable bowl, melt Hershey's milk chocolate bars at 30 second intervals until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
Assemble of the churro smores
- Dip one end of the churro is the warmed marshmallow (work fast) and set on baking sheet. Once all the churros have been dipped in marshmallow, drizzle the melted chocolate over the churros. Serve and enjoy!
- Churros are best served immediately and warm. Can keep in the warming tray until serving.