Growing up, Rice krispie treats were a staple in our home. They are one of the most versatile snacks and simply enjoyed by everyone. I don't think that I have ever met anyone that will turn one away.
So on today's episode of "What am I making on a -4 degree temperature day?" Let me introduce you to the most chewy chocolate chip rice krispie treats!
It is my go to rice krispie treat recipe and has been around in my family for generations. I just spiced it up some with mini chocolate chips. Each square is so chewy and filled with gooey marshmallows. Chocolate chips give each bite a little some extra! They are simple and can be made within 15 minutes.
There are not many ingredients to make the chocolate chip rice krispie treats! Many of the ingredients can be found in your pantry!
- Rice Krispies cereal: You can use the generic if your local store is out of the name brand. However, I do feel that the real cereal produces a much better result.
- Marshmallows: Large or mini, it doesn't matter. Just make sure they are FRESH! Marshmallow cream and or fluff can be substituted as well. If you want to use a marshmallow alternative, check out this site for more info!
- Unsalted butter: Olive or canola oil can be substituted.
- Vanilla extract: It should be pure vanilla extract as it enhances the flavor of the marshmallows.
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips: Of course other flavors of chocolate chips can be used such as milk chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, or even butterscotch chips!
Why these treats are the best?
There are several reasons why these rice krispy treats are the best?
- They contain only about 6 ingredients
- They are a no bake dessert
- Have the perfect marshmallow to rice krispie ratio making them the most chewy and soft!
Step by step instructions
Making rice krispie treats is very simple! Not many steps are involved. See video for step by step instructions for how to make these amazing treats!
- Prepare 9x9 pan: Line the pan with parchment paper or use non stick spray. Parchment paper will allow easier removal of the treats when cooled.
- In a large dutch oven: melt butter over medium heat until melted. Add in the large marshmallows and stir with spatula until they are melted down.
- Add in rice krispies and stir until combined with the marshmallows. BE SURE to let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes before adding the chocolate chips. If added too soon, the chips will melt. Add non-stick spray to your hands and mix chips in that way.
- Press mixture gently into the prepared pan and then sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top. Let cool for an hour.
- Remove the treats from the pan using parchment paper and cut out squares. Serve and enjoy!
What other cooking method can be used to make these treats?
Although I have always used the stove top method for making rice krispie treats, they can made in the microwave. See this link for further reference and suggestions.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a microwavable safe bowl for 3 minutes. Stirring at 2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
- Add in rice krispies and mix until combined. Let it cool and then add chocolate chips.
- Gently press in prepared pan and let mixture cool for about an hour. Cut and serve.
- Be sure to add the mini chocolate chips after the rice krispie mixture has cooled some. If you add the chips right away, they will melt and your rice krispies treats will be chocolate ones (not that this is bad, but not for this recipe).
- Wet your hands with water or spray with non-stick spray when pressing mixture into the prepared pan. No marshmallows will stick to your hands!
- Only use FRESH marshmallows. Stale ones that have sat in the back of your pantry will harden the treats.
- The vanilla extract is a flavor enhancer to the marshmallows. Adding almond extract will also enhance the flavors!
Variations and other add-ins
In addition to the chocolate chips, rice krispie treats are very versatile and many things can be added into them or other variations of this recipe can be made.
- Candies such as M&M's, Reeses pieces, heath toffee bits or Butterfinger bits.
- Different flavors of baking chips such as butterscotch, peanut butter, dark chocolate, or even Bailey's irish cream chips for St. Patty's day!
- Other cereals such as fruit loops, Cheerios, or Lucky charms.
- Creamy peanut butter also goes great in any rice krispie treat!
Why are my rice krispie treats soggy?
It is important that your rice krispie treats are chewy and moist, but you don't want them soggy. Too much marshmallow to butter ratio can happen that makes them soggy. So it is important to have that ratio be perfect.
How can I cut the treats evenly?
Do I need to refrigerate Chocolate chip rice krispie treats?
There is no need to refrigerate these rice krispie treats. They are best at room temperature.
Are rice krispie treats healthy for you?
In general, rice krispies don't have a lot of nutrients. My recipe uses more traditional ingredients that are not super healthy, there are other healthy recipe options out there like this one!
How long can i store rice krispie treats?
These treats are best served right away. However, will stay fresh in an airtight container for 2 days. They can be frozen for up to 6 weeks. Thaw before serving.
Chewy chocolate rice krispie treats
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 9x13 cake pan with lid
- 1 Silicon Spatula
- Parchment or wax paper
- 1 large dutch oven
Chocolate chip rice krispie treats
- 7 cups rice krispie cereal
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz large marshmallows
- 1 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
Rice krispie treats
- Line a 9x9 cake pan with parchment paper. Use can always use non-stick spray as well.
- In a large dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat until completely melted. Rotate the pot to help spread the butter more evenly around the bottom and sides or pan.
- Add in the large fresh marshmallows in and melt over medium-low heat. Use a spatula sprayed with non stick spray to stir. Things will start to get very sticky at this point. Do don't worry!
- Once the marshmallows have completely melted, remove from heat. Add in the vanilla extract and stir. Add in the 7 cups of the rice krispies and stir quickly. If the marshmallows cool down then it gets harder to stir.
- Once the mixture has cooled some, add in the mini chocolate chips. Press the mixture into the prepared 9x13 pan gently. If you press them too firmly into the pan, they will be hard to bite into.
- Add more mini chocolate chips to the top and then let it cool to room temperature for about an hour. Cuts into squares and serve.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Freeze for 6 weeks. Be sure to thaw to room temperature before serving.
Chocolate chip recipes!
- The most sinfully healthy chunky monkey cupcakes
- Easy snickers cheesecake bars with Oreo crust
- Monster cookie bars
- The best S'mores bars
fun fact of the day!
Eating certain types of chocolate is good for both your mental and physical health.