Who loves their S'mores marshmallows dark and toasty or just slightly golden? With the best Hershey S'mores bars you can pick! It is a perfect summer time snack and all without the mess of a real S'mores.
Take these bars to your next camping trip or snack on them after a long day in the sun. Either way they are delish!
A sweet graham cracker layer topped with a chocolate chip cookie dough layer and then filled with marshmallows and Hershey candy bars. My top layer of marshmallows is more of a golden brown color versus the dark toasty gooey marshmallow.
Summer time is definitely for anything S'mores. A bonfire, music, and a S'mores snack puts me in my happy place. My kiddos share in the same love for this dessert and I love watching the gooey marshmallow stick to each of their faces and fingers. So when it came time to make these bars, they were so excited to eat these.
I know I said that they are less of a mess, but when you have a three year old, anything becomes a mess! It truly amazes me how one bite of anything is all over his entire face and shirt! Thank God for wipes!
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Hershey's chocolate bars
- Semi-Sweet chocolate chips: Mini and regular
- Graham cracker crumbs: I used the Nabisco boxed crumbs, but you can process your own with about 2 sleeves of graham crackers in food processor.
- Mini marshmallows
How to make the graham cracker crust
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cake pan. In a medium mixing bowl, add the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and granulated sugar. Mix up with a fork. Pour mixture into greased cake pan and press firmly until you have an even layer. Bake for 6-8 minutes. Remove and let cool.
Cookie dough mixture
First, in a mixing bowl, cream together butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla until well combined.
Second, add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and 2 cups of marshmallows. Add spoonfuls of batter onto the baked graham cracker crust and press evenly and gently as to not disrupt crust.
Third, bake for 18-19 minutes. Remove from oven and add additional marshmallows and Hershey bars to top. Bake for another 10 minutes until light golden brown on top.
Lastly, remove from oven and let it cool completely! Serve and enjoy!
What makes these the best S'mores bars?
I have had many different variations of S'mores bars through out the years, but this recipe is the best one by far!
Of course the mini marshmallows and both chocolate chips make this bar what it is, but the Hershey bars give it that extra special touch. There is just something about a half melted Hershey chocolate bar melting in your mouth with each bite!
Variations and substitutions
- Add in marshmallow cream or golden grahams.
- Throw in some peanuts or peanut butter to enhance the flavor.
- Bake in a different sized cake pan to get different thickness of the bars.
- Make into cookie bars with a chocolate chip or Oreo crust or add a cheesecake layer.
What baking tools are needed?
These are best eaten within a couple of days, but store in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and then microwave for 15 seconds.
Hershey S'mores bars
- Electric mixer
- 9x13 cake pan
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Non-stick spray
Cookie dough mixture
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6.2 oz Hershey chocolate bar
Graham cracker crust
- 2½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 11 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x13 in cake pan with non-stick spray. Set aside. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar and mix until well combined. Pour mixture and press firmly into cake pan and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, cream butter, both sugars together. Add in both eggs and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in flour, baking soda and salt until combined. By hand, mix in marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Evenly spread cookie dough mixture over crust and gently press it on so you don't disrupt the crust beneath it. Bake for 18-20 minutes, remove from oven, place hershey bars on top and additional marshmallows. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes until golden brown on top. The center should be slightly undercooked and on gooey side.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving!
Fun fact of the day!
90 million marshmallows are purchased by Americans throughout the year. 50 percent of them are during the summertime! I guess we love our S'mores!