After enduring and surviving "Norovirus 2022" this past week, I was ready to get back to the normalcy of baking and blogging. Believe me, anything that doesn't involve cleaning with Lysol or Bleach, bring it on! So to celebrate a clean house and kitchen, I give you the best cookie butter banana bread!
A warm banana bread filled with a Biscoff spread and then topped with a warm cookie butter drizzle and chopped lotus cookies! Comfort food at its finest and perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Lotus lovers everywhere will be happy they made this bread!
My love for cookie butter came after I made my Biscoff donut muffin. I stumbled upon these amazing spiced cookies and spread after reading a recipe in a magazine during a trip to Walmart. The Europeans were genius with this product and it has become a staple in our home now, especially on toast!
So it was only a matter of time before cookie butter was added to one of my favorite recipes. My banana bread was the perfect recipe to add this spread to. Be sure to also check out my Biscoff cheesecake!
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar: light or dark
- Sour cream
- Biscoff cookie butter: Walmart brand is just as delicious and cheaper!
- Biscoff cookies
Step by step instructions
- Prepare oven and pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 bread loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, smash 3-4 bananas and set aside.
- Whisk dry ingredients: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in bananas, vanilla extract, and cookie butter spread.
- Alternate dry and sour cream: With mixer on low speed, add in half of the flour mixture. Add in the sour cream until well combined. Next, add in the rest of the flour mixture and only mix until combined. DON'T over mix.
- Transfer batter to pan and bake: Transfer batter to prepared bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Make cookie butter glaze: Melt a ½ cup of cookie butter in the microwave. Chop up some lotus cookies. Drizzle cookie butter on top and then sprinkle cookies over. Slice and serve!
Variations and substitutions
- Make several mini breads using a mini loaf pan versus just one.
- Make these into standard or mini muffins. Baking times will vary.
- Add in some walnuts or pecans to enhance the flavor of the cookie butter.
- Substitute yogurt for the sour cream.
Tips and tricks
- Don't over mix the bread batter. In breads that contain yeast mixing a lot is great, but in quick breads such as banana breads it will become dense.
- Bananas always need to be overripe for banana bread. It will enhance the sweetness in the bread.
- Swirl in the cookie butter with a knife just like in my chocolate glazed marble donut bread.
- Let bread rest overnight and give the cookie butter spread time to absorb into bread. Second day bread is the best!
Place bananas on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Scoop out flesh once cooled. Another method you can use is putting bananas in paper bag with an apple. They will ripen in a day or two. Microwave method can be used as well.
A quick bread takes about an hour to make. However, I always check the bread at about the 50 minute mark. A knife inserted will come out clean if the bread is done. However, if the edges are browning too quickly and the center is still more liquid like, tent around the pan with aluminum foil.
Cookie butter Banana bread
- 1 Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Silicon Spatula
- 1 9x5 bread loaf pan
Cookie butter banana bread
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cookie butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups bananas smashed
- ¼ cup sour cream
Cookie butter spread
- ½ cup cookie butter melted
- ½ cup Biscoff cookies chopped, optional
Cookie butter banana bread
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x5 bread pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl using electric mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add in eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Fold in smashed bananas, vanilla extract, and cookie butter spread.
- With the mixer on low, add half of the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add in the sour cream until well blended. Then, add the rest of the dry ingredients. Don't over mix.
- Transfer batter to prepared bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookie butter glaze
- Place ½ cup of cookie butter into a microwavable bowl and heat at 20 second intervals until completely melted. Drizzle on cooled bread. If desired, chop up some Lotus cookies and crumble on top. Slice and serve!
- Bread will last in an airtight container for 5 days at room temperature.
Breads to enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
Human thighbones are stronger than concrete.
The best banana bread on this planet! The cookie butter on top melts in your mouth!