Do you want to know what is better than a powdered donut? A strawberry powdered donut cake! I have found a new favorite cake to serve!
A light and buttery cake that is made all in a mixing bowl and without an electric mixer! I adapted the recipe from Yossy Arefi and put my own spin on it. I omitted some ingredients and added a few new ones and the cake came out simply stupendous! My two littles already had 2 pieces by the time I got done trying to photograph the pictures!
So screw New Years Resolutions, and do yourself a favor and eat a slice of this!
Ingredients for the donut cake
Most of the ingredients in this cake you will already have in your fridge. So the best part is that it is not too costly to make. The only extra ingredient I had to buy was the freeze dried strawberries!
Tips and tricks for success
There is not much you can do to mess this cake up, but I will offer a few pointers on making a successful Strawberry powdered donut cake.
- Greasing and lining your 8×8 square pan with parchment paper is key. This allows for perfect removal of the cake and no sticking.
- Make sure you use a sturdy whisk when mixing up the batter as it will get thicker after the dry ingredients are added. A flimsy one will not work!
- Original recipe says to bake 25-35 minutes, I had to bake 40 minutes before my knife inserted came out clean. Just remember that oven temps vary.
- You will have leftover strawberry powdered sugar so it is okay to store in a airtight container for future use. In addition, the donut cake has absorbed a lot of the sugar from the butter that was brushed on it the previous day so it is okay to add a little more sugar before serving again!
How to make a strawberry powdered donut cake
- Preheat oven and prepare pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line and grease square pan. Set aside.
- Make Batter: In a bowl, add all the wet ingredients and whisk until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Bake the cake: Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until cake is light, fluffy and knife inserted comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes on wire rack.
- Make topping: In a food processor, add in the confectioner’s sugar and freeze dried strawberries. Pulse into a fine powder mixture.
- Assemble cake: Brush cooled cake with melted butter and sprinkle strawberry powdered sugar on top. Serve and enjoy!
Cakes to enjoy!
Strawberry powdered donut cake
- Large mixing bowl
- 8x8 square cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Food processor
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 oz freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 8x8 inch square baking pan with non stick spray. Line the square with parchment paper so that the sides hang over on each side of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the granulated sugar and two eggs until foamy (1 minute). Next, add in the sour cream, butter, ground cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and powder. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake the cake until a knife inserted comes out clean (35-40 minutes). Set the pan on a rack to cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, add in the confectioner's sugar and freeze dried strawberries to the food processor. Pulse down to a fine powder mixture.
Assembly of the cake
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter and brush over the top of the cooled down cake. Sift the strawberry powdered sugar on top. Serve and enjoy.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
fun fact of the day!
Sugar can cure a burnt tongue.