Would you take a look at those? Just gorgeous! Sweet Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls you are my new summertime breakfast friend. And wait until you put the lemon cream cheese icing on top. The perfect brunch on a balmy summer morning and its screaming my name for this weekend!
These rolls are filled with fresh strawberries and strawberry jam and a pinch of cinnamon. Layer the tart cream cheese icing on top and a star is born. In addition, each bite is going to be filled with tart and sweet. Grab your coffee and enjoy!
As some of you may know, I love my cinnamon rolls. But, I also love to make different variations on a traditional sweet treat. That is why making these Strawberry cinnamon rolls was just the ticket.
The weather here in Muk town has finally hit the 70’s, so the berries are fresh and the summer sun is literally just making my heart happy. Nonetheless, out of the mouth of my little one, “Mommy, you make the best treats”. Thank you buddy, I am only aiming to please you, and well, all of my cyber fans out there!
These strawberry cinnamon rolls can be made pretty quickly, but following these tips below, they will be made successfully.
- Instant yeast can be substituted for active dry yeast, you won’t need to dissolve it in milk first.
- When warming up your milk, be sure it is luke warm. If it is too hot, once the yeast goes in, it will be killed off and your dough won’t rise properly. The ideal temp for proofing yeast is 110 degrees. The yeast will froth up after 5 minutes if it is good.
- If you are running low on time, you can speed up the dough rising process. Turn oven on to 200 degrees. Turn the oven off, cover your dough, and set in the oven with the door closed for about 45 minutes.
- The rolls can be made a day ahead of time, but be sure to leave in warm environment to rest and rise before baking.
How to make strawberry cinnamon rolls
Making the dough and rolls
First, heat the milk up in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take out and put yeast in bowl for 5 minutes to proof. Chop up fresh strawberries and set aside
Second, in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the sugar, butter, egg, flour and salt. Mix until the dough resembles a coarse pea mixture. Switch to the dough hook attachment. Add the milk mixture and mix for 5 minutes or until the dough is elastic and soft. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and store in a warm place to let it rise and double in size (about an hour).
Third, grease a 10 inch pie pan or other dish of your choice. On a lightly floured surface, roll your dough out to a 18×12 inch rectangle. Spread jam evenly over the rectangle leaving and inch border all the way around. Then, spread fresh strawberries and cinnamon on top.
Fourth, roll the dough starting from the far side towards you. When you reach the end, pinch the seams and cut of ends. Cut into 10 equal rolls with serrated knife. Place the rolls in a greased pan.
Lastly, bake at 350 degrees or until the tops of the rolls are golden brown. Cool before icing.
Lemon cream cheese icing and assembly
First, in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in the confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Mix until creamy and smooth.
Lastly, once the rolls have cooled, drizzle or spread on the icing. Serve and enjoy!
Summer time is here recipes!
Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls
- Stand mixer with paddle and hook attachment
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 10 in pie pan
Strawberry cinnamon rolls
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk warmed
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- 1 cup strawberry jam seedless
Lemon Cream cheese icing
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice fresh
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
Strawberry cinnamon rolls
- In a microwavable bowl, heat up the milk for 30 seconds. Add the active dry yeast to it and let it sit for 5 minutes until the yeast dissolves. Chop strawberries up and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the butter, flour, sugar, salt, and egg. Mix until the dough resembles coarse crumbs. Switch to the hook attachment. Add the milk mixture and mix on medium-high for about 5 minutes. The dough should be elastic and soft.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with either plastic wrap or damp towel. Place in a warm area to let the dough double in size (about an hour).
- Grease a 10 inch pie pan and set aside. Roll the dough into a 18x12 rectangle. Spread the strawberry jam over the rectangle evenly leaving about an inch all around the sides. Spread strawberries over dough.
- Roll the dough starting from the far side towards you. When an end is reached, pinch the seams tightly. Cut the roll into 9 separate rolls.
- Place the rolls in the grease 10 inch pie pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let the rolls rest until they have doubled in size. Once the rolls have doubled in size bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Once they are cooled, drizzle with icing.
Lemon Cream cheese icing
- While the rolls are resting, place all the ingredients into a mixer and cream together. Set aside.
Fun fact of the Day!
Vermont is the only US State capital without a McDonald’s.