The dog days of summer are upon us and the kiddos are almost back to school, but this sensational salted caramel pecan ice cream is just the treat you’ve been yearning for! It’s creamy, sweet, savory and nutty all in one.
It just can’t get better than that. Oh wait, I lied, it can because it is a no churn recipe. Yup, you heard me right, no ice cream maker needed for this sweet treat! The ice cream man would be jealous he didn’t have this flavor on the truck. He would make a pretty penny on this flavor. My 4 yr old devoured hers in 5 minutes flat!
What is No churn ice cream?
No churn ice cream means that you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it! It turns out just as creamy and it is way less time consuming. Most ice cream recipes require an egg custard base and have to be tended to like a newborn puppy.
Nonetheless, I don’t even an own an ice cream machine, so this recipe for the sensational salted caramel pecan ice cream worked out really well!
What makes this SAlted caramel pecan ice cream sensational?
Well….. the ingredrients of course! There are only a select few and they just work really well together! I have always been a sweet and savory together lover, so this was a no brainer for me!
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Sea Salt
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla bean paste can also be used.
- Chopped pecans
tips and tricks for no churn ice cream
- Make sure that your whipping cream achieves stiff peaks. You want air incorporated into the whipped cream.
- A cold mixing bowl and beaters help with mixing the whipped cream up faster.
- Freeze for a minimum of 5 hours, but it is best overnight. Let it defrost slightly before serving.
- No churn ice cream is very silky smooth and tends to melt faster, so eat it quick!
There are so many different variations for no churn ice cream. Some will add fruit, cookies, candy bars, sprinkles or a variety of nuts to their no churn ice cream recipes.
Others will change the flavors. I have seen vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate chip, and the list goes on! The options are endless and that is what makes this ice cream so fun to make!
Substitutions for a healthy no churn ice cream
- Coconut cream or coconut milk can be substituted for heavy cream. Cool whip can also be used.
- Pure maple sugar can be used as a substitute for granulated sugar
- Raw Cacoa powder
- Raw pitted dates
- Any type of nut butter or natural peanut butter
How to make salted caramel pecan ice cream
First, add the granulated sugar into a small saucepan. Heat on medium and stir constantly until the sugar becomes an amber colored syrup. Once the sugar is melted, stir in the butter until it is completely melted (2 minutes).
Second, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the heavy cream while continuing to stir. All the mixture to boil for a minute. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heat safe bowl, add the salt and stir, and allow it to cool to room temperature.
Third, in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment beat the 2 cups of heavy cream on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
Fourth, once the caramel mixture has cooled to room temperature mix in the can of sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Fold the caramel into the whipped cream until completely blended.
Lastly, transfer to a bread loaf pan and sprinkle pecans on. Cover and place in the fridge for a minimun of 5 hours or overnight.
If you like this recipe you should also try
Sensational salted caramel pecan ice cream
- Small saucepan
- 9x5 bread pan
- Silicon Spatula
- Glass bowl
- Stand Mixer with whisk attachment
Salted caramel sauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
No churn ice cream
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
Salted caramel sauce
- Heat the granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or spoon until it turns into an amber colored syrup.
- Once the sugar has completely melted, stir in the butter until it is completely melted (2-3 minutes).
- Slowly drizzle in the ¼ cup of heavy cream while continuing to stir. Remove from heat, transfer to a heat-safe bowl and stir in the salt. Let it cool to room temperature.
No churn ice cream
- In the stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat together the 2 cups on medium-high speed until stiff peaks for (3-4 minutes)
- Once the caramel is cooled to room temperature, mix in the can of sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract.
- Fold the caramel mixture into the whipped cream. Transfer to a 9x5 bread pan and sprinkle on the chopped pecan pieces.
- Cover and freeze a minimum of 5 hours or overnight.
fun fact of the day!
Ponder this for a minute…..the average number of licks to finish a scoop of ice cream is 50. How many licks does it take you?