Who remembers the PSY Gangnam style pistachio Super bowl commercial? How could one forget that awful dance and song. However, the pistachios looked amazing! It was only a matter of time that I made a pistachio inspired creation. Meet my pistachio muffins!
Super moist green colored muffins topped off with lightly salted chopped pistachios and a honey drizzle. Breakfast just got amazing. Nevertheless, my kids all ate one right out of the oven. They were a little weirded out by the color, but the taste did not disappoint.
Pistachios have been one of my go to nuts for sometime and I think that they are underrated. That chewy and crunchy texture is oddly satisfying. However, the expense of them may be the reason I don’t buy them on a weekly basis. At six bucks a bag, one could go broke!
Do Pistachios have health benefits?
As aforementioned, pistachios are expensive, but do offer some great health benefits. As far as muffins go, these pistachio ones are relatively low in calorie.
- They are a complete protein, which helps allow muscle to build back up after a workout.
- Decrease blood sugar levels.
- Lower blood pressure.
- If you buy them shelled, it will help with portion control!
- High in antioxidants which helps with heart disease.
Ingredients and substitutions
How to store pistachio muffins
These muffins store best in an airtight container for 3-5 days at room temperature. If you don’t add the honey drizzle, place a paper towel over muffins to absorb some moisture. Even without the paper towel, muffins still do remain pretty moist!
tips and tricks
- It’s super important to always spoon and level your flour. If you don’t do this you run the risk of either not having enough flour or too little.
- Liners can also be used if you prefer not getting your muffin tin dirty!
- Almond extract can also be added in addition to vanilla extract because it will enhance the pistachio flavor.
How to make pistachio muffins
Muffins are always my go to breakfast food as they don’t take a lot of your time! Pistachio muffins can be prepared and baked all within 1 hour!
First. preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line a standard muffin tin. Set aside. Chop up lightly salted pistachios and set those aside.
Second, whisk all the dry ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl. In another bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract for about 1-2 minutes until light and creamy.
Third, pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the chopped pistachios with a spatula. Transfer batter to muffin tin.
Lastly, bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack. Drizzle with honey and chopped pistachios! Serve and enjoy!
Muffins to enjoy!
- Electric mixer
- Standard muffin pan
- Non-stick spray
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3.4 oz Instant pistachio pudding mix
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 8 oz buttermilk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup pistachios lightly salted and chopped
- ¼ cup honey for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a standard muffin tin with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, instant pudding mix, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer, mix together the oil, buttermilk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until light and creamy.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until just combined. With a spatula, fold in chopped pistachios.
- Transfer batter to muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Leave the muffins in the pan to cool down for 10 minutes. With a knife, loosen the edges and then transfer muffins to wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, drizzle honey over each muffin. Store muffins in an airtight container for 2-5 days.
fun fact of the day!
About 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year. What in the world?