Does anyone remember Oreo Cakesters? They first came out in the early 2000's and then discontinued in 2012. However, they were brought back this year, but I would like to challenge Oreo to my best homemade oreo cakesters. I bet they couldn't stand a chance!
A chocolate cake like sandwich layered between homemade cream. The consistency is pretty much a whoopi pie. However, we all know the cream inside of an Oreo is everyone's favorite and what makes any Oreo cookie amazing!
I remember eating these in my college and grad school years. Throw a package in my bag and snack in class. They were perfect for satisfying my sweet tooth! So after researching online, I was able to find the recipe on another blog and recreated them! So unbelievably delicious!
- All-purpose flour
- Vegetable Oil
- Cocoa powder
- Light brown Sugar
- Evaporated milk
- Vegetable shortening
- Confectioner's sugar
Step by step instructions
- Prepare baking sheets and oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicon mats or baking sheets.
- Make cookie batter: Prepare the chocolate cake batter in a mixing bowl. Add to piping bag to pipe circles on mat.
- Make cream filling: Mix cream ingredients for 5 minutes until smooth. Set aside.
- Bake cookies: Bake for 5-7 minutes until cookies are just set. Let cool completely before piping cream filling.
- Assemble cookies and serve: Pipe cream filling in between both cake sandwiches and serve!
Variations and substitutions
- Make the outside cake part a vanilla one as it will resemble a golden oreo cakester
- Make into larger cakesters by using more batter with each scoop before baking
- Substitute the filling in the middle with a chocolate or strawberry cream. Anything goes with Oreos, right?
- Roll the cakesters in sprinkles or chocolate chips
Tips and tricks
- Using a tbsp, drop the cookies at least 3 inches apart on the baking mat so they do not mold together while baking.
- Bake time is IMPORTANT. 5-7 minutes max or the texture of the cakester will not turn out well and ruin dessert.
- Using a piping bag with a large round tip allow for more round circles when baking. Otherwise some will comes out asymmetrical.
- When making the dreamy cream we all love, mix for at least 5 minutes until super smooth and creamy. If it is not mixed well, it will not taste well.
- Wrapping in plastic wrap and putting in the fridge is optional but I feel it makes the cookie sandwich taste much better!
Essentially yes, they are whoppi pies, but in a smaller version.
Oreo claims the 2022 version of the cakesters are a modified version of the 2012 batch. However, the taste should still satisfy customers.
In an airtight container at room temperature, they will last up to one week. They don't freeze well and are best eaten right away.
Homemade oreo cakesters
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking sheets
- Silicon mats
- Silicon Spatula
Chocolate cake sandwiches
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
Chocolate cake sandwich
- Preheat to 350°. Line baking sheets with silicon mat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift and whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa together. Add in the rest of the chocolate sandwich ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Drop the chocolate batter (1-2 tbsp) about 3 inches apart on a baking sheet. Don't put them any closer together or they will mold together during baking.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes. DON'T bake any longer or the consistency of the cookie will be ruined. Cool down in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to harden.
- With an electric mixer, cream filling ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Spread in between two chocolate cookies after they have cooled in the fridge.
- You can wrap them in plastic wrap and place back in the fridge if desired.
Desserts to enjoy
Fun fact of the day!
Oreos can be as addictive as cocaine. I can see that! You can't just have one, or at least I can't!
My relatives all the time say that I am killing my time here at net, but I know I am getting knowledge every day by reading thes pleasant content.