Summertime is almost over and school is about to start (thank God), but I am going to miss the heat! Especially for desserts like homemade orange popsicles. They are the perfect past time dessert that remind me of everything great about my child hood summers! Pools, slip and slides, ghost in the graveyard and those hot summer nights eating one of these popsicles. Growing up in the 80's and 90's was the best!
Creamy, tart, sweet and running down your arm is the only way to eat these orange popsicles. If you aren't sticky, you are not eating them right! My kids have it down pat!
My inspiration for this dessert actually came from my recent Farmer's market cookie called the Orange popsicle. It's flavor can be made in to any dessert and it turns out amazing.
Ingredients and substitutions
There are 5 ingredients in these Orange popsicles and the prep is so simple!
- Orange Juice: freshly squeezed or 100%
- 1 large orange
- Granulated sugar: other sweeteners such as honey or even a banana can be used as well
- Heavy cream or ice milk
- Vanilla extract
How to make an Orange popsicles
- Blend ingredients
Peel orange. Next take ingredients and put into a blender or food processor. Pulse until creamy and thick, but not stiff. It is if too runny, pulse for another minute.
- Freeze popsicles
Spoon mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight. Once removed from the freezer, let them sit on the counter for 5 minutes before removing from molds. If necessary, run the molds under hot water to loosen the popsicles.
- Swap out the orange flavor and add other mixed juices such as pineapple, mango, or tropical.
- Use ice milk instead of heavy cream
- Make into different shapes by using different silicon molds.
- Food processor
- Popsicle molds
- Popsicle sticks
Creamsicle and dreamsicle started out as brand names and weren't flavors in themselves. However, they are used interchangeably and both have that orange flavor.
- Popsicle molds
- Measuring cups
- 6 oz orange juice freshly squeezed or 100%
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large orange peeled
- Add all your ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth. Pour liquid into popsicle molds. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Ice cream desserts!
Fun fact of the day!
An alternative name for a Creamsicle is a 50/50 bar!
Leave a Reply