What do you do when you have extra nutter butter cookies sitting in your pantry? You make nutter butter cookie buttercream! It is a sweet and rich frosting that is packed full of crushed up nutter butter cookies! And we all know how much I love me some peanut butter. Wasting these amazing cookies would have been devastating!
It is simple to make and only takes about 10 minutes of your precious time! You can spread or pipe it on cakes and cupcakes! In addition, you can just lick it off of a spatula like I caught my kiddos doing! Who could fault them for that? It is so versatile!
NUtter Butter Cookie BUttercream
Nutter butter cookies have been around as long as I can remember. I have always loved anything with peanut butter, but the memories that these cookies bring back makes me feel all giddy inside!
As of late, my three kids have been begging me to make chocolate cupcakes. So this peanut butter flavored buttercream is what was needed to compliment the cupcakes. A masterpiece was born!
What pairs with this buttercream?
Nutter butter cookie buttercream can be paired with almost any dessert, especially anything that has chocolate in it! This would include fudgie brownies, chocolate cakes or even my Texas Vanilla Sheet cake.
Can this buttercream be stored?
This frosting can be made 3 days in advance in an airtight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months.
If frozen, let thaw and put in a bowl of a stand mixer and rewhip until smooth and fluffy!
Ingredients for this frosting
- Unsalted butter
- Creamy peanut butter: I prefer Jif
- Nutter butter cookies: 11.8 oz package
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Heavy cream
How to make NUtter butter cookie buttercream
Frostings are one of my favorites to make and yet they are so simple!
First, in a food processor, pulse down nutter butter cookies into a slightly coarse crumb mixture. Set that aside.
Second, in a bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix on medium the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add in confectioner’s sugar and heavy cream until you reach desired consistency.
Lastly, add in cookie mixture until combined. Either spread on desserts or pipe on cupcakes!
Nutter Butter cookie buttercream
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Silicon Spatula
- Food processor
Nutter butter cookie buttercream
- 11 oz nutter butter cookies pulsed down to cookie mixture
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a food processor, pulse down nutter butter cookies into a slightly coarse cookie mixture. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix together the butter and peanut butter on medium until smooth.
- Add in the confectioner's sugar and mix on low until almost combined (mixture will be pretty thick at this point). Add in heavy cream and turn up speed to medium high and beat until desired consistency. Serve on any dessert that goes great with peanut butter!
Fun fact of the day!
It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter! That;s quite a few peanuts!