Pink Hearts, yellow moons, orange stars and green clovers! That is what makes these Lucky Charms Ice cream cupcakes magically delicious! Ok, I just went a little overboard with Lucky the leprechaun sayings, but they really are magically delicious.
These buttery vanilla cupcakes are stuffed with a buttercream lucky charm marshmallow truffle and topped with vanilla bean ice cream. Kids everywhere, ok mainly just in my neighborhood, are going crazy over them. These fall in the category of another hybrid dessert and can be added to your St. Patty’s day list to make.
Also, don’t miss out on my Mint Chocolate Chess bars for another St. Patty’s favorite.
Why the Lucky charm ice cream cupcake?
I decided to make these cupcakes on a whim. I realized that I had a crap ton of lucky charms and what better way to make use of them, than in a cupcake. It also worked out well because St. Patty’s day is right around the corner and I wanted to share one last recipe before the festivities begin. My kiddos joined in the fun and were eating most of the marshmallows during the process.
I have never made my own buttercream truffles, but damn when you add those little sweet marshmallows to them, it rocks your world! I also added the marshmallows to the vanilla cupcakes themselves giving them that bright color! So all you moms out there, give this one a try, your kiddos won’t be disappointed!
How to make this Magically delicious dessert!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put paper liners in cupcakes tins.In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Turn the mixer on a low and slowly add in your softened cubed butter. The mixture will resemble coarse sand when completely blended.
Keeping the mixer on low, slowly add in one egg at a time, scraping down the sides of your bowl between additions. Pour in the milk and Lorann’s vanilla bean paste and mix until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until the batter is smooth (about 2 minutes). Using a spatula, fold in lucky charms marshmallows.
Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cake tester will come out clean when done. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and transfer to wire rack. Once cooled, cut a hole in the center of each cupcake with a paring knife.
Buttercream marshmallow truffles
In a medium mixing bowl, combine very softened butter (not completely melted), flour, sugar, lucky charms marshmallows, vanilla and almond extracts. Form into a ball and put in the freezer to chill for 4-6 hours (shapes will not be perfect and that is ok). Put in the center of each cupcake.
Ice cream on top
This little stinker just got over Norovirus, no not Coronavirus, the good old puke flu. He was pretty darn happy when he could actually eat again. These cupcakes were just what he needed!!!
Lucky Charm Ice Cream cupcakes
- Oster electric hand mixer
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 cupcake tins filled with liners
- 1¾ cup cake flour
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup lucky charm marshmallows
Lucky charm buttercream truffles
- ½ cup lucky charm marshmallows
- ½ cup softened butter, not melted
- 5-6 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
Vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 scoop topping for cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugars, baking powder and salt. With electric hand mixer on low, add in cubed butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Keeping the hand mixer on low, add in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions. Slowly pour in the milk and vanilla extract until combined. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes or until the batter is smooth. With a spatula, fold in the marshmallows.
- Fill the liners ⅔ full and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the centers are set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before adding truffles and ice cream.
Lucky Charm buttercream truffles
- In a large bowl, mix very softened butter, flour, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts and marshmallows. Roll them into little balls and chill in freezer safe container for 4-6 hours.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, using a paring knife cut a hole in the center of each cupcake and put chilled truffle in center.
Vanilla Bean ice cream
- Top each cupcake with a scoop of ice cream and serve!
- Yields 24 standard cupcakes.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Once ice cream on top, serve right away.
Fun fact of the day!
With all the coronavirus negativity out there and in case the world comes to a halt for a couple of weeks, you will be happy to know that it is impossible to lick your elbow.
Ok, you know you all just contemplated doing it or at least thought about it!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.