Where have you been all my life Lemon Lime Coconut Macarons? Seriously? The shredded sweet coconut mixed with lemon lime zest and juice and drizzled with white chocolate. I love that every bite is sweet and tart and takes me to a place where there is a Pina colada in my hand and white sandy beaches! I am sure everyone else is feeling this same sentiment as the Coronavirus quarantine is causing us all to go stir-crazy!
Please check out my other macarons as they are more of the French kind! The chocolate macarons and cinnamon ones are delish!
Lemon Lime Coconut Macarons
Why this concoction you ask? Honestly, this was my first stab at the coconut macarons and wanted to add that citrus twist to it. My fridge is full of limes and lemons and I am a lover of sprite and 7up, so why not throw that twist with the coconut? And you know since we are quarantined why not use the items in my packed full fridge (really I was not one of those TP hoarding people).
This cookie has also been traditionally served at Passover which is coming up in the next week. Even though I am not Jewish I do have friends that are and may benefit from this recipe.
How to make these macarons?
This recipe is quite simple and super kid friendly. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Add your shredded coconut, Eagle sweetened condensed milk, 2 egg whites, lemon and lime zest and juice, and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
With a Wilton cookie scoop, drop mixture on prepared baking sheets. Put in oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes. Edges will be golden brown and cookie will be set in the middle. Cool completely.
Put white chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl and turn on for 30 second intervals until completely melted. White chocolate tends to be a little thick even when melted, so I had to add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to thin it out. Once you get the desired consistency, drizzled over cooled macarons! Serve and enjoy!
Tips for perfect coconut macarons
- The sweetened condensed milk is the reason these macarons are perfectly held together. It is milk with sugar added and water removed and with an awesome sticky factor. You only need ¾ of a cup, but use the left overs for coffee!
- To make the chocolate drizzle, always add a fat such as oil or shortening to it. It will thin it out and in turn create that perfect drizzle on top of the cookie!
more macarons recipe
Lemon Lime Coconut Macaron
- mixing bowl
- 2 baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- cookie dough scooper
- 12 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- ⅛ cup lime juice
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk, salt, lime and lemon zest, lime and lemon juice and 2 egg whites. Scoop out onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies are set and the bases are golden brown in color. Allow to cool completely.
- Melt white chocolate chips in microwave and drizzle over macarons. Serve and enjoy.
Fun Fact of the day!
When you were born, you were, for a moment, the youngest person on earth. Ponder that for one-second!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Leave a Reply