Starbucks, eat your heart out! This lemon drizzle cake recipe is the cat’s meow! Going into the New Year with this dessert is one that will stick around, and yes even on my thighs! I am not mad at all!
Lemon drizzle cake recipe is a sweet lemon sponge cake that is moist and drizzled with lemon and lemon icing and zest! The icing are an extra decorative part, but make this cake so amazing! It can be served at any part of the day and with any choice of beverage, but I am pretty partial to a large glass of milk with it!
My 3 yr old is about the pickiest person on this planet and he was actually eating an actual lemon slice with a piece of this loaf. His faces were priceless!
One of the best parts of the lemon drizzle cake recipe is the actual ingredients! There are only about 7 of them and they can all be found in your pantry!
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Self rising flour: When I don’t have King Arthur brand on hand I make my own. 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1.5 tsp of baking powder and a 1/4 tsp of salt.
- 5 eggs
- Zest of 3 lemons: or use lemon extract
- Lemon juice: Fresh is best, but you can substitute for store bought.
- Confectioner’s sugar
successful tips and tricks for lemon drizzle cake
- Be sure to use a large bread loaf pan as you will have a different result with other sizes. I found this one to work the best.
- Be sure to use Self-Rising flour. It works well to help the cake rise without the yeast! Like I said previously, it can be all found in your pantry!
- Bake cake for at least 50 minutes, but may need at least 60 minutes to bake. Oven temps vary!
- The lemon icing is for extra decoration. I added a drop of yellow food coloring to give it that extra lemony look!
How to make a lemon drizzle cake recipe
- Get oven and pan ready: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease large loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Make Lemon cake batter: Cream butter and sugar together. Add in the eggs, flour and lemon zest and juice until completely combined.
- Pour into pan and bake: Pour batter into pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Make lemon drizzle: At the end of baking, add the lemon juice and sugar to a bowl. Pour over lemon cake once it comes out of the oven. Let it cool in the pan completely before decorating with icing (icing and drizzle are different).
- Decorate with lemon icing, zest and serve: Make your lemon icing. Once the cake is cooled pour of cake, add zest and serve!
Lemon drizzle cake recipe
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Large bread pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Non-stick spray
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease large bread loaf pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together your butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the self rising flour, eggs and lemon zest and juice and mix until well combined.
- Pour mix into bread loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Knife inserted will come out clean.
- Towards the end of the cake baking, mix together the granulated sugar and lemon juice. Once the cake is out of the oven drizzle this oven while cake is in the pan. Let the cake cool completely.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, remove from pan. Mix together the lemon icing/glaze ingredients and pour over top of cake. Add extra lemon zest for decoration! Slice and serve!
fun fact of the day!
The oldest known disease in the world is known as leprosy. All I can think of right now is Sid from “Ice age”.