Yo VIP, let’s kick it.
Ice Ice baby, ice box cookies! I seem to be on a roll with song lyrics and blogging! Check out my banana cream pie and you will see what I mean.
Ice box cookies or refrigerator cookies are time consuming. The prep time is quick, but they need to be chilled for at least 3-4 hours before baking.
My ice box cookie recipe has a creamy and thick texture and is loaded with pecans. Each bite you really taste that great nutty flavor. In addition, they are so small and bite sized. If you are not watching, it is very easy to keep on eating them.
Ice box cookies
Optional add ins
Although my family recipe calls for pecans in the ice box cookies, other add ins can be used!
- Chopped chocolate: Semi-sweet, dark, or milk would work well in these sliceable sugar cookies. Make sure to use bar chocolate as the chips leave large craters in the dough.
- Sprinkles: Non-perils or good old fashioned jimmies can be used. Before chilling the dough, add sprinkles to a plate, and roll the entire log or edges in the dough.
- Chopped nuts: Pecans or walnuts work best.
How to make Ice Box cookies
So these ice box cookies rank very low on the difficulty scale, which is a great thing when you are a busy mom like me!
First, whisk all the dry ingredients together. Be sure to blend well and then fold in the nuts. I used Simple truth pecans for this recipe. Be sure to crush them down to fine pieces before folding in.
Second, once the dough is blended well, divide into 3 separate sections. Roll each section into a log. Wrap the log in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Lastly, after 3 hours, take logs out and unwrap the wax paper. Cut into 1/4 pieces and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.
cookies to enjoy!
Ice box cookies
- Eletric mixer with beaters
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cookie sheets x3
- Parchment paper
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed firmly
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks room temperature
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts I used pecans
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl. With electric mixer beat well until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to ingredients above and mix well. Fold in pecans with spatula.
- Divide dough in 3 parts. Roll each part into a log (about 10-12 in in size) and wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, take out of fridge and set on hard surface. Unwrap from wax paper and cut into 1/4 in slices. Put on cookie sheet. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Freeze cookies for up to 3 months.
Fun fact of the day!
The British Navy uses “Britney Spears” songs to scare off pirates!
So “Hit me baby one more time”, really scares off pirates! I sadly have to admit that I am a fan of her, but it is the little things in life like this that make me laugh!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.