Well.... I'm back from our Siesta Key, FL vacation. It was an amazing time and I didn't want to come back. However, back to the grind of baking and blogging. Introducing the Honey vanilla cake made in a cast iron skillet.
This dessert is moist, light, and not an overly sweet cake filled with fresh clover honey and topped with assorted fruits and nuts like pistachios. Perfect for that after dinner dessert that won't sit heavy in the stomach.
I was super excited to make this honey cake because I have loved honey since I was kid. Honey is so diverse and can be eaten on many sweet and savory things.
Whenever we went to McDonald's when I was a kid, I asked for honey with my chicken nuggets! Not ketchup! I have a also been seen putting it on my salted rice cakes.
- All purpose flour
- Clover honey
- Unsalted butter
- Sour cream
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
Step by step instructions
There is only 4 steps to this cake process and is perfect for beginner bakers looking for a sweet treat!
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the cast iron skillet and set aside.
Second, in a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and clover honey until well combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla extract.
Third, in another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this to the butter mixture. Transfer to the cast iron skillet.
Lastly, bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan completely. Serve with assorted fruit or pistachios!
This honey cake is super simple to make. Follow these awesome tips below to help make the cake right the first time!
- Using Clover honey will allow for the best flavor of the cake.
- Be sure to grease the 9 inch cast iron skillet really well. I recommend real butter.
- To freeze the cake, simply wrap in aluminum foil. When ready to eat, thaw out and bring to room temperature.
Variations and substitutions
- Add some frosting or whipped cream to the top of the cake or if making a layer cake, in between the layers.
- Make in a larger cast iron skillet if desired or as a layer cake.
- Mix in some vanilla baking chips to enhance the vanilla flavor!
- Substitute raw honey or yogurt if desired.
Honey provides additional moisture for baked goods like this cake.
Honey vanilla cake
- 9 inch cast iron skillet
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup honey
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 inch cast iron skillet. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and honey until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in sour cream and vanilla extract.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this to the butter mixture. Transfer batter to grease skillet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes or clean. Cool completely in pan. Served with fresh assorted fruit, additional honey, or even pistachios!
Summertime cakes to enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket!