Movin to the country, going to eat a lot of peaches! That song is horrible, but peaches are delicious. Especially in my healthy maple whiskey peach galette! A whole wheat crust topped with fresh peaches that were caramelized in maple and whiskey! The best part is each slice is very low in calories, and that means less guilt with each bite! A win, win situation!
What is a galette?
A galette is French pastry similar to a tart or pie; it’s essentially pastry dough wrapped over a filling made from fruit, sugar and butter. A pie like pastry dough and a fruit filling combined with great baking, is how you make a great galette.
A galette is very easy to make and virtually formless versus a pie or tart that have a crust and a filling!
Fresh Peaches are one of my all time favorite fruits during the summer months. There is just something about that juice dripping down your arm with every bite!
August is the month for peaches, so making this galette with this juicy fruit was so appropriate. In addition, who doesn’t love them caramelized in a maple and whiskey? My lips are smacking together just talking about it! I promise, your dinner guests will not turn this healthy maple whiskey peach galette away!
What makes this galette Healthy?
You ask how can a dessert that look this good be healthy? It’s all in the ingredients ladies and gents!
- Fresh peaches: peeled, pitted and sliced
- lemon juice: fresh is best, but store bought would work as well
- Pure maple syrup: Anderson’s pure organic maple syrup
- Unsalted butter
- Jack Daniel’s whiskey
- Light brown sugar
- Whole wheat white flour
- Turbinado sugar
- egg yolk
- Egg white: for wash on crust
- Water: Ice cold
How to make a Healthy Maple WHiskey peach galette
Caramelize the peaches
Caramelizing the peaches was so easy and fun! I made these ahead of time before the crust so that the peaches could cool down before assembling.
First, peel the peaches, pit and slice them. Put in a bowl and set aside. Next, add in the lemon juice, salt, whiskey, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir.
Lastly, add the butter to skillet and let it melt. Once melted, pour in the peaches and heat on medium-high for about 10 minutes to caramelize. Stir in cornstarch about half way through to thicken syrup. Let peaches cool down before assembling on crust.
See video below for caramelizing the peaches.
Making the whole wheat crust and assembly
First, in a mixing bowl whisk in the flour, salt and sugar. Using a pastry cutter, cut in cold butter into dough until the butter is pea sized. Stir in egg yolk.
Second, drizzle water over the flour mixture and mix until the dough forms into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Third, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll into a flat circle (1/8 inch thick). Arrange the peaches in the center of the dough, leaving a 2 inch border. Gently fold up the edges of the dough all the way around. Brush the dough edges with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
Lastly, bake for 15-20 minutes or until the dough is golden and the filling is bubbly. Remove and cool before cutting. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if you want the extra calories!
Storage of a galette
If you make the dough ahead of time, it can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. A galette is best eaten the day it is baked. Leftovers can be loosely covered at room temperature for 2 days.
Healthy Maple Whiskey Peach Galette
- Large skillet
- Paring knife
- Baking mat
- Parchment paper
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rolling pin
- Pastry cutter
Whole wheat galette crust
- 1¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter cubed and cold
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar plus extra for sprinkling on crust before baking
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp water ice cold
Maple Whiskey filling
- 1 lb peaches peeled, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Whiskey Jack Daniel's
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp cornstarch
Whole wheat crust
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Mix together the flour, sugar and salt. Cut unsalted cubed butter into the dough with a pastry cutter until the butter is about the size of a pea. Stir in the egg yolk.
- Drizzle cold water over the flour mixture and mix until dough forms into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll it out into a flat circle (⅛ inch thick). Place on baking sheet and set aside.
Maple Whiskey peaches
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice, whiskey, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, brown sugar with the peaches. Be sure to coat them all.
- Melt the unsalted butter in the skillet, pour peaches in and turn on medium-high for 10 minutes to caramelize them. Add cornstarch to thicken syrup.
Assembly of the galette
- Arrange the caramelized peaches in the center of the dough, leaving about a 2 inch border. Gently fold up the edges of the dough all the way around. Brush edges with egg whites and spinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the dough is golden and the peaches are bubbly. Remove and cool before cutting. Or you can serve it warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
fun fact of the day!
Raspberries are the member of the rose family. I could actually see that based on the smell!