Celebrate good times, come on! (Love me some old school Lionel Richie)There's a party going on in these Vegan funfetti cupcakes recipe!
A Vegan sweet and moist vanilla cupcake packed full of rainbow sprinkles and frosted with creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. And if you are feeling even more of a celebration, throw some extra sprinkles on top! Serve them at any birthday celebration, or any time you entertain. They will for sure be a hit!
The real debate is whether you call them sprinkles or jimmies! I grew up an IL girl and I will forever add sprinkles to my cupcakes, cookies, and any other dessert that calls for them. Adapting to the name jimmies was never my thing! Just doesn't sound right.
- Cake flour
- All-purpose flour
- Avacado oil
- Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Cane Sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Rainbow jimmies
Step by step instructions
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard cupcake pans with cupcake liners of your choice! Set them aside.
Second in a large bowl, sift and whisk together all the dry ingredients. Next, add the lemon juice and almond milk to a bowl to activate. Then add in oil and vanilla extract and with an electric mixer, beat until well combined. Add in sugar and mix until dissolved.
Third, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until no large lumps remain. The batter should be the consistency of pancake batter.
Fourth, gently, fold in those magical rainbow sprinkles. Transfer batter to cupcake liners and fill ⅔ full. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan and then transfer to wire rack to complete cooling.
Lastly, make buttercream frosting. Pipe frosting to cooled cupcakes and serve and enjoy!
- It's always important to properly measure and level your flour. Never use a 2 cup measuring cup to measure dry ingredients. It will not be as accurate.
- I recommend using a single tablespoon or a cookie scoop to transfer batter to cupcake liners.
- Always have ingredients at room temperature. They will mix up much better.
- Go crazy by adding as many sprinkles to your cupcakes and frosting as you desire.
Variations and substitutions
- Use a different cupcake flavor such as strawberry, chocolate, or marbled.
- Make into a 9x13 can or a layer cake.
- Use different types and flavors of frosting.
Yes, both can be made ahead of time. I find that cupcakes made a day before frosting allows them to become more moist if sealed properly at room temperature.
Frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month and in the freezer for 3 months.
Vegan funfetti cupcakes recipe
- Electric hand mixer
- Stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Standard cupcake pans
- Cupcake liners
Vanilla funfetti cupcakes
- 1¼ cup cake flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup rainbow sprinkles jimmies
Vanilla Buttercream frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature and vegan
- 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Vanilla funfetti cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two standard cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk and sift both flours, cane sugar, baking powder and salt all together. In another mixing bowl, add the almond milk and lemon juice and let it activate/curdle. Add in the vanilla and avocado oil and mix until combined.
- Add in sugar and mix until it is dissolved. Whisk in dry ingredients and mix until completely incorporated. Gently, fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Transfer batter to cupcake liners about ⅔ full. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for at least 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Vanilla buttercream frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter on medium until light and fluffy. Slowly, add in confectioner's sugar and mix on low until it is combined. Add in the salt, vanilla extract, and almond. Mix until well incorporated and frosting is at your desired consistency.
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes and add additional sprinkles if desired!
Cupcakes to enjoy!
- Butterfly cupcakes
- Pink Velvet cupcakes
- The ultimate chocolate chunk cupcakes
- Rainbow ice cream cone cupcakes
Fun fact of the day!
Apparently, Lionel Richie thought about becoming a priest before pursuing music!
Leave a Reply