Celebrate good times, come on! (Love me some old school Lionel Richie)There’s a party going on in these funfetti cupcakes recipe! No, I am not joking, these cupcakes are one big party! The kiddos will be screaming for these!
A sweet and moist vanilla cupcake packed full of rainbow sprinkles and frosted with creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. And if you are feeling even more of a celebration, throw some extra sprinkles on top! Serve them at any birthday celebration, or any time you entertain. They will for sure be a hit!
The real debate is whether you call them sprinkles or jimmies! I grew up an IL girl and I will forever add sprinkles to my cupcakes, cookies, and any other dessert that calls for them. Adapting to the name jimmies was never my thing! Just doesn’t sound right.
If we are talking Wisconsin sayings, what in the hell is a bubbler? (for all of you that don’t know, it is a drinking fountain) Yeah, I literally lost my marbles over this one when I first moved here. However, over the years I have adjusted to saying soda instead of pop. So maybe this makes me somewhat of a hybrid Wisconsinite now!
Party cupcake ingredients
tips for making the best funfetti cupcakes ever!
- It’s always important to properly measure and level your flour. Never use a 2 cup measuring cup to measure dry ingredients. It will not be as accurate.
- I recommend using a single tbsp or a cookie scoop to transfer batter to cupcake liners
- Always have ingredients at room temperature. They will mix up much better.
- Sour cream works well to make cupcakes more moist and brighten the color of them!
- Go crazy by adding as many sprinkles to your cupcakes and frosting as you desire.
Can these cupcakes and frosting be made ahead of time?
Yes, both can be made ahead of time. I find that cupcakes made a day before frosting allows them to become more moist if sealed properly at room temperature.
Frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month and in the freezer for 3 months.
how to make funfetti cupcakes recipe?
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard cupcake pans with cupcake liners of your choice! Set them aside.
Second in a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Next, add all the wet ingredients (except sour cream) to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined and creamy.
Third, add in the sour cream until just combined. Gently, fold in those magical rainbow sprinkles. Transfer batter to cupcake liners and fill 2/3 full. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan and then transfer to wire rack to complete cooling.
Lastly, make buttercream frosting. Pipe frosting to cooled cupcakes and serve and enjoy!
cupcakes to enjoy!
Funfetti cupcakes recipe
- Electric hand mixer
- Stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Standard cupcake pans
- Cupcake liners
Vanilla funfetti cupcakes
- 1¼ cup cake flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup rainbow sprinkles jimmies
Vanilla Buttercream frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Vanilla funfetti cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two standard cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk both flours, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt all together. Next, add the water, vanilla extract, both eggs, and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients. With mixer on medium, mix until the batter just comes together and is smooth.
- Add in the sour cream and mix until just combined. Gently, fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Transfer batter to cupcake liners about ⅔ full. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for at least 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Vanilla buttercream frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter on medium until light and fluffy. Slowly, add in confectioner's sugar and mix on low until it is combined. Add in the salt, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. Mix until well incorporated and frosting is at your desired consistency.
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes and add additional sprinkles if desired!
fun fact of the day!
Apparently, Lionel Richie thought about becoming a priest before pursuing music!