I know I said I was going to make the German Chocolate cake next, but man O man, I could not resist the most amazing chocolate fudge pudding cake. It is a simple cake recipe and has a warm gooey and fudge-like center, crispy edges, and pairs so well with a glass of milk or some ice cream. It is best served right out of the oven due to the moist center, but can be eaten cold as well.
This cake has been traditionally served at the holidays for our family, but it would work with any occasion or as a dessert at a potluck! Other chocolate desserts to try are Lindt truffle cake, Chocolate cherry bundt cake, and Rocky road ice cream sandwiches.
I think Mariska Hargitay said it best, "Chocolate is the first luxury. It has so many things wrapped up in it: deliciousness in the moment, childhood memories, and that grin-inducing feeling of getting a reward for being good".
This chocolate fudge pudding cake has all that and more for me. This recipe was one that my grandma made and has brought back so many memories of her and I in the kitchen together.
It doesn't take a lot of ingredients to make this chocolate fudge pudding cake come to life.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: enhances the flavor of the cake.
- Water: this is important as it gives the center of the cake its gooey appearance.
- Baking powder: A great leavening agent for this dessert.
- This recipe can be doubled if you are serving a larger crowd. Place in a 9x13 pan.
- Don't over mix the cake. It will become more firm.
- Add in extra milk chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or dark chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
- This cake is best served hot. If it is cooled down, you can always reheat in a microwave.
How to make a Chocolate fudge pudding cake
What I love about this pudding cake is the simplicity of it. You don't even need any hand held mixer to make it. Just your good old hand strength!
Second, in a small mixing bowl, combine the milk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Pour on top of dry ingredients. The batter will be thick and sticky, so it is important that you spread well inside the dish.
Lastly, you combine the remaining 3 tablespoon of cocoa, remaining granulated sugar and sprinkle onto batter in dish. Then pour hot water all over in dish.
Set 8x8 glassware baking dish inside a 9x13 cake pan filled with 2 in of water. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Fudge pudding cake
- Mix together dry ingredients
Mix together flour, salt, 2 tablespoon of cocoa powder, and a ½ cup of granulated sugar and put in 8x8 glass baking dish.
- Combine milk, vanilla, and butter with dry ingredients
Combine milk, vanilla, and melted butter into the dry ingredients and mix well by hand. Spread evenly in dish.
- Fudge pudding mixture
Combine together remaining cocoa powder and sugar and brown sugar. Sprinkle over the cake batter.
- Pour hot water in pan
Pour hot water over cake batter and set 8x8 cake pan in a 9x13 pan with 2 inches of water in it.
- Bake cake
Bake for 40 minutes. Cake will be very gooey in the center. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Either heat in 30 second intervals in the microwave or in a preheated oven. The fudge sauce in the cake will have absorbed and it will come out just as soft and gooey!
Although the center of the cake may be slightly gooey, it won't be runny. A toothpick should come out relatively clean or with a few crumbs on it.
Desserts best served warm!
Chocolate Fudge Pudding cake
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- 8x8 glass baking pan
- 13x9 cake pan
- 1 Cup Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoon Hershey's cocoa powder divded
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- ½ Cup milk
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar light or dark
- 2 cup water hot
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix together flour, salt, 2 tablespoon of cocoa, baking powder and ½ cup of granulated sugar in 8x8 glass baking dish.
- Combine milk, melted butter and vanilla. Fold into the dry ingredients in glassware and beat well by hand. Spread out in dish well.
Fudge pudding mixture
- Combine remaining 3 tablespoon of cocoa, remaining ½ cup of granulated sugar and brown sugar. Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Pour 2 cup of hot water over batter and place in 9x13 pan that has 2 in of water in it.
- Bake 40 minutes. It will be goeey in the center. Serve over vanilla ice cream.
- Best if served right away, but can be reheated.
Fun fact of the day!
Orangutans make dildos out of wood! I guess when you are stuck in a zoo, you have nothing better to do than entertain the audience!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.