All things lemon are what summertime is all about! So you will love these cake mix lemon whoopie pies. The cakes are soft and made with a cake mix and then sandwiched in between a whipped blueberry cream cheese frosting. Very light and refreshing with each bite.
Another kid friendly recipe, for those of you out there wanting to make your children into bakers! My youngest LOVES blueberries and kept on eating them while I was making the frosting. I can't blame him as fresh blueberries are amazing!
As I continue to build up my recipes on the site, you can also check out my King Cake Whoopi Pies. I know they were during Mardi Gras, but still super delicious! The frosting color could be changed to any summer color desired!
Why you will love these whoopie pies!
- Super simple to make
- So moist and light for a summer dessert
- Cant just eat one they are that addicting!
- Pretty versatile with many different variations
- 1 box of lemon cake mix
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Fresh blueberries
- Heavy cream
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
Step by step instructions
Lemon whoopie pies
- Prepare oven and baking sheets: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream butter: In a mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Cake batter: Add in lemon cake mix, eggs, and sour cream and mix until combined.
- Drop batter onto prepared baking sheets: With a large cookie scoop, drop about 1 tablespoon on the parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake until set: Bake for 6-8 minutes. The cakes are done when a knife inserted comes out clean or when you touch them it springs back.
- Cool Completely: Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
Blueberry whipped cream cheese frosting
- Make whipped cream: In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix heavy cream on medium high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter: In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese and butter until combined.
- Add in rest of the ingredients: Add in vanilla, sugar and fresh blueberries and blend until incorporated.
- Fold in whipped cream: With a spatula, fold in whipped cream to the other ingredients.
- Fill the cookies: Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe over one half of the cookie and sandwich a cookie over the top.
Substitutions and variations
- Substitute for different cake mix flavors
- Make a homemade whoopie pie from scratch
- Use a raspberry or strawberry whipped frosting
- Substitute with frozen blueberries
- Use a buttercream frosting
Frequently asked questions
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Cake mix lemon whoopie pies
- Oster electric hand mixer
- Kitchen aid Stand mixer with whisk and paddle attachment
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
Lemon Whoopi pies
- 15.25 oz lemon cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter
Whipped Blueberry Cream cheese frosting
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
Lemon whoopie pies
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric hand mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add cake mix, eggs, and sour cream and stir until well combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop batter onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the cake bounces back once touched.
- Allow the cakes to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Whipped blueberry cream cheese frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks have formed. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and fresh blueberries until well combined. Fold in whipped cream. Put in refrigerator if not piping whoopi pies right away.
- Storage in an airtight container on parchment paper (they get sticky) for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
More recipes to enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached to only one end. Ponder than for a while! I know I did!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.