When it comes to chocolate cupcakes I am not a huge fan, but these Ferrero Rocher cupcakes have my taste buds screaming. There is just something about that little crunchy ball of hazelnut that gives me all the feels! One bite and I am hooked!
A super moist chocolate cupcake piped with rich Nutella buttercream frosting and then topped with a Ferrero Rocher! These candies are like Lays potato chips, you cant just have one. Good thing that they come in a pack of three!
This blog post has me all sentimental right now. When I would come home from Loras (go Duhawks) on the weekends, I would go shopping with my mom and maternal grandmother on Friday nights to Walmart and then out to dinner. It became a tradition and one that I miss dearly!
During checkout, my grandmother introduced me to the three pack of Ferrero Rocher. It was one of her favorite candies. Nonetheless, I eat these candies in memory of her and it puts a little pang in my heart whenever I see them. She was one of my favorite people on this planet. Grandma, this blog post is for you!
Where did Ferrero Rocher come from?
Ferrero Rocher is produced by the Italian confectionary company Ferrero. It was first made in 1979 in Italy and other parts of Europe in 1982.
It's production is a secretive process and very few journalists have been invited to visit. It is a popular candy during the Christmas season and one of the most smuggled candies into Hong Kong and China.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Buttermilk: if you don't have any in the fridge you can use one cup of milk and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice
- Vegetable oil
- Nutella or any generic chocolate hazelnut spread
- Confectioner's sugar
- Ferrero Rocher
Making the chocolate cupcakes
First, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line standard cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
Second, whisk all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and set aside. Next, whisk the wet ingredients until combined. Add the dry to the wet ingredients and mix with electric mixer on medium until combined. Batter will be runny and that is okay!
Third, pour batter into liners and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Lastly, transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling.
Making Nutella buttercream frosting
First, in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter on medium until light and fluffy. Add in the confectioner's sugar and beat until just combined.
Lastly, add the chocolate hazelnut spread, salt, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium until light and fluffy or your desired consistency has been reached.
Assembly of Ferrero Rocher cupcakes
First, unwrap Ferrero Rocher candies and set aside. Fill piping bag fitted with desired tip with frosting. Pipe each cooled cupcake.
Last, add the candies on top of each cupcake. Serve and enjoy!
- Use a jumbo cupcake pan to make an even larger version!
- Add a cream cheese filling to the center.
- Add chocolate chips and or hazelnuts inside the cupcake.
Yes, it came from the same company.
Ferrero Rocher cupcakes
- Electric mixer
- Stand mixer fitted with paddle attachments
- Measuring cups and spoon
- Standard cupcake pans
- Piping bag fitted with desired tip
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup water hot
Nutella chocolate frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup Nutella
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips Melted
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 5.3 oz Ferrero Rocher 12 pieces
- Preheat oven to 300°. Prepare cupcake pans with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on medium until well combined. Pour water into mixture. It is okay of they batter is thin and runny.
- Transfer batter to the cupcake liners and fill only ½ way full. Bake for 18-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove cupcakes from oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Once cool, transfer to wire rack to complete cooling process.
Nutella chocolate frosting
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate chips and let it cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in confectioner' sugar and mix until combined.
- Add in heavy cream, vanilla extract, Nutella, and melted chocolate and mix until it is evenly combined. Put frosting in fridge for 15 minutes to let it set.
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a desired tip and pipe on to cooled cupcakes. Top with a Ferrero Rocher candy, serve and enjoy!
Cupcakes to enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
Borborygmi is the rumbling sound your stomach makes when you're hungry.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.