With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I give you easy pumpkin pie crisp! It is a great alternative to the classic pumpkin pie. Nonetheless, it is delicious and super easy to make.
A sweet and creamy pumpkin pie filling topped with a crunchy streusel and then baked to perfection. Serve it with right out of the oven with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
I have admitted to you all that I am not a huge lover of anything pumpkin. However, I do love anything with crisp on the end, so that is why I gave this recipe a try. This dessert will replace the classic pumpkin pie at our Thanksgiving and I am excited to have my family try it.
Since I am the designated dessert maker every year, I try to bring as many non-traditional desserts to our gatherings. On occasion, I do get push back, however after mentioning this easy pumpkin pie crisp, everyone was all on board!
Easy pumpkin pie crisp
What makes this pumpkin pie crisp different from traditional pumpkin pie is the crunchy cinnamon streusel topping. The pumpkin pie filling and streusel topping come together to make this amazing recipe! Did I mention it is also less time consuming?
What is a crisp made out of?
A crisp is an American dessert usually consisting of a type of fruit baked with a crispy topping. The topping, or streusel, is made out of butter, oats, flour, brown sugar, and spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg.
Easy pumpkin pie crisp uses homemade pumpkin pie filling and a cinnamon streusel topping. Nonetheless, pumpkin replaces the fruit in a more traditional crisp recipe.
Pumpkin puree vs. Pumpkin pie filling
Many new bakers out there may not realize the difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling, but there is!
Pumpkin puree is a cooked pumpkin that is smashed or blended in a food processor to create a small pulp. It contains no spices or added sweeteners. When making homemade pumpkin pie filling it is better to use canned pumpkin so you can add your own spices and sweeten it to your own taste.
Pumpkin pie filling is a puree that has already been flavored with the spices and sweetened. It is convenient for a quick pumpkin dip.
How to make easy pumpkin pie crisp
This pumpkin pie crisp is so easy to make. It only takes about 20 minutes to prep and between 40-45 minutes to bake.
- Pumpkin pie filling ingredients: Whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, heavy cream, pumpkin pie spice, salt and vanilla. Set aside.
- Cinnamon streusel topping: Using a pastry blender, mix together the cubed butter, flour, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. The mixture should be coarse and crumbly.
- Bake crisp: Transfer filling to prepared 12 inch cast iron skillet and top with streusel. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve: serve with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.
can this be made ahead of time?
Yes, this easy pumpkin pie crisp can be made ahead of time. However, I do recommend baking it fresh when you are ready to serve it.
Follow all the steps up until baking. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge until ready to bake. Let it sit at room temperature while preheating the oven. Bake as instructed!
Easy pumpkin pie crisp
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 12 inch cast iron skillet
- 15 oz pumpkin puree canned
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup whipped cream
Pumpkin pie crisp
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet or casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, pumpkin puree, 3 eggs, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and vanilla extract. Fold in the heavy cream until smooth and combined. Transfer into the prepared skillet.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Microwave butter until melted and pour over dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- Spread streusel topping on the pumpkin mixture evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the filling is set and the top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then serve with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream!
fun fact of the day!
The most expensive pizza in the world costs 12,000 dollars. WTF?