Cinnamon rolls have been on my mind lately, and making cookie monster cinnamon rolls did the trick. Not your traditional cinnamon roll recipe, but one that tastes even better and with a fun twist that I even think Cookie monster himself would approve!
A festive blue cinnamon roll filled with an Oreo sugar filling and topped with icing, extra Oreos, and chocolate chip cookies. These cinnamon rolls have gone viral on Tiktok and making them was so much fun!
Please check out my other favorite Tik tok recipes which include cookie monster cookies, Tanghulu, and whipped coffee honey donuts.
- Instant yeast
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Royal blue food coloring
- Light brown sugar
- Confectioner's sugar
- Cream cheese
Why are these cinnamon rolls so amazing?
- They are super easy to make, but do require some resting time, just like traditional cinnamon rolls
- Kid-friendly- my 4 year old was on cloud nine when helping me with the recipe
- Super moist
- Designed to make cookie monster himself very happy!
Step by step instructions
First, make the yeasted dough. Combine the instant yeast, granulated sugar, and milk in a mixing bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to proof.
After the 5 minutes is up, add in the eggs and melted butter until completely incorporated. Add in one cup of flour at a time.
Once add the flour is mixed in, add in the blue food coloring. Cover the dough and put in a warm place and allow it to rise for an hour.
When dough is resting, make the Oreo filling. Crush Oreos in food processor. Combine Oreo dust, cinnamon, and brown sugar together.
Punch dough down. Spread and roll the dough out into a rectangle (doesn't need to be perfect in shape). Add a layer of softened butter to the dough. Spread the Oreo mixture on top of butter.
Roll the dough out lengthwise and cut rolls out with a sharp knife or with unflavored dental floss. The rolls should be about 1.5 inches thick.
Add cinnamon rolls to dish, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise for another 1 hour. Bake for 20 minutes.
Making icing by mixing cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and unsalted butter. Spread on top of the rolls along with chocolate chip pieces or more Oreos. Serve and enjoy!
Substitutions and variations
- You can use homemade chocolate chip cookie pieces or sprinkle with Chips Ahoy
- Use chocolate chip cookie dust in the center versus the Oreo
- Add in white and milk chocolate chips
- Substitute with a vanilla icing versus a cream cheese icing
Frequently asked questions
In an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can. Just know that bake time will vary and color may be different.
Cookie monster cinnamon rolls
- 1 stand mixer
- 1 9x13 cake pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- 1 Food processor
- 1 Silicon Spatula
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk warm
- 2.5 oz instant yeast
- 2 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1¼ cups Oreos crushed
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon royal blue food coloring
Cream cheese icing
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2½ cups Confectioner's sugar
- 1 cups chocolate chip cookies chopped up
- 1 cup Oreos chopped up
For the cinnamon rolls
- In a large mixing bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add in warm milk, yeast, and granulated sugar. Mix until well combined and let proof for 5 minutes (it should be foamy and smell like bread). Melt ½ cup of butter and let it cool.
- Add in eggs one at a time and cooled down melted butter and mix until combined. Mix in flour one cup at a time until a sticky dough forms.
- Switch the paddle attachment to the hook attachment and knead the dough on medium-low speed until well combined. If dough is still sticky after about 5 minutes, add in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until dough is no longer sticking to sides of pan.
- Add in the blue food coloring until dough is uniform in color. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a damp towel and place in either oven or microwave to let it rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Make the Oreo filling by adding Oreos to the food processor and pulse down until Oreo Dust is formed. Add the dust to a bowl along with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Punch the dough down with your fist, roll out into a rectangle. Spread butter onto the rectangle and add Oreo filling mixture on top. Roll dough lengthwise and cut rolls. They should be 1.5 inches thick.
- In a cake pan, add the rolls and cover with plastic wrap. Rest and hour. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes give or take a couple of minutes.
Make cream cheese icing and assembly
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and confectioner's sugar. Add in vanilla and a pinch of salt. Mix until completely incorporated.
- Spread over slightly cooled cinnamon rolls and top with chocolate chip cookie pieces and Oreo pieces. Serve and enjoy!
- Store these cinnamon rolls in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Homemade cinnamon rolls with fresh apple filling
- Easy strawberry cream cheese cinnamon rolls
- Puff pastry cinnamon pinwheels
- Homemade cinnamon sugar buns
Fun fact of the day!
Use a hair dryer to crayon marks off the wall! Hmmm....who knew!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.