Bam, I walked outside this morning and instantly felt fall in the air. It was perfect. The hot, sauna like days are soon behind us and the cool, crisp mornings and balmy afternoons are in front of us. Nonetheless, making these easy apple blondies put me in the mood for sweater weather! Or in my case, sweatpants and hoodie weather!
A chewy, buttery, and moist blondie filled with fresh spiced apples is perfect for my first fall blog post. Simple, easy, and delicious. But can you really go wrong with anything apple?
I also realized that I don't have any blondie recipes on my site and figured this was the perfect time! Sorry, pumpkin spice, you will soon make a debut, but apple won the battle this time!
As aforementioned, summer is my season. I love flip flops, shorts, t-shirts, and sitting in the sun, but fall is a close second for me. So making fall desserts after a hot summer was refreshing. My kiddos and I are ready for apple picking and hayrides at the Elegant Farmer! Not to mention, we have already talked about Halloween costumes ( yes I know it is still August).
What is a Blondie?
Blondies are brownies without the cocoa! They consist of brown sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Their flavor is more of caramel notes and are more moist and chewy thanks to the brown sugar.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Salt and baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Cinnamon and nutmeg
- Vanilla extract
- Apples: Any will work, but Granny smith are the best for baking
Tips for making apple blondies
- Melting or browning butter will result is the most, rich and thick blondie. However, be sure to mix the brown sugar well with the butter before adding any other ingredients.
- Using a tart apple such as Granny smith or Pink lady apples are best for baking and offset the sweetness of the blondies.
- Add ins for the blondies are nuts, or butterscotch chips. They can even be topped with flavored icing or a glaze.
- They can be made ahead of time. Iced or plain blondies freeze well for up to 3 months.
How to make Easy apple blondies
- Brown butter: In a saucepan, brown the butter. Once it melts the butter will begin to foam. Be sure to keep stirring. After about 5 minutes, you will begin to see brown bits at the bottom of the pan and you will smell a nutty aroma. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the apples: In another saucepan add your peeled and chopped apples, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Heat until the apples are slightly softened. Set aside.
- Make the blondies: Whisk all the dry ingredients together. Next, whisk all the wet ingredients together. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in apples.
- Bake the blondies: Transfer batter and evenly spread in prepared 9x13 pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Cool completely. Once cooled, remove from pan and cut into squares and serve!
Variations and substitutions
- Use different flavors of glaze such as vanilla or maple.
- Add in chocolate chips or walnuts.
- Experiment with the spices to change up the flavors a bit!
Yes, slightly. Take them out when they are browned around the edges. They will continue to cook for a few minutes when out of the oven.
Easy Apple blondies
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x13 cake pan
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted and browned
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ cup brown sugar light or dark
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Brown sugar glaze
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon 2% milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup confectioner's sugar
Easy apple blondies
- Add butter to large saucepan. Turn on medium heat. Once melted, butter will start to foam. Browned bits will be seen at the bottom of the pan once it is browned. Remove from heat and set aside until ready for use.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the 9x13 cake with with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on both sides (makes it easier to lift blondies out). Set aside. Peel and chop 2 apples.
- In a large saucepan, add apples, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Stir apple mixture over medium heat until the apples have softened slightly. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract together.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the apples (batter will be thick and that is ok).
- Transfer batter and spread evenly into prepared cake pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or the top is slightly golden brown or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and let blondies cool completely. Once cooled, lift blondies out of the pan and cut.
Brown sugar glaze
- In a smal saucepan, melt butter, brown sugar and milk together. Remove from heat and add vanilla and confectioner's sugar. Mix until you get your desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled blondies and serve!
- Caramel apples with nuts
- Apple pie crisp bars
- Caramel apple pie piecaken
- Guilt free baked cinnamon donuts
Fun fact of the day!
Fall colors are caused by the amount of sugar in the leaves!