I definitely have found a new obsession with any dessert that includes cranberries and oranges together. There is just something magical about the combination. Especially in my vegan cranberry orange cookies!
A soft and chewy cookie that lasts for days! It combines the tartness of cranberries with the sweetness of orange zest to create a very bold and flavorful cookie! Share these around the table at Thanksgiving or bring to a Christmas party! Nonetheless, these will not last long!
Health benefits of both cranberry and orange!
Despite both cranberry and oranges being within my cookie, they do have pretty amazing health benefits!
Cranberries support health digestion, strengthen the immune system, prevents gum disease and reduces blood sugar.
Oranges and orange peel or zest has said to prevent the spread of cancer cells, and even help to prevent Alzheimer's!
Well, lucky for me, I love both! These cookies aren't high in calories and are vegan.
- All purpose flour
- Vegan butter
- Granulated sugar
- Flaxseed meal
- Vanilla extract
- Orange zest- 1 medium orange
- Dried Cranberries: Great Value brand is best!
- Baking powder
Tips and tricks for cookies
- DON'T over bake these cookies. If you do, they will not retain their softness and chewy center. They will become hard. The edges and bottoms should only be slightly golden in color.
- These cookies do not spread much in the oven, so use the back of a spoon to flatten slightly and then drizzle with sugar.
- You can use other add-ins with the cranberries such as white chocolate chips or any nuts such as pecans or walnuts! Flavor will still be amazing!
Step by step instructions
This recipe is super easy to make and turns out great!
First, make sure to preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Either light grease two baking sheets with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper. Whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. Set aside.
Second, in a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt, orange zest, and flaxseed meal/water mixture until well combined.
Third, add the flour and cranberries until everything has been thoroughly mixed together.
Fourth, drop about a tablespoon and a half on the prepared cookie sheets about 1.5-2 inch apart. Flatten with back of spoon and sprinkle with sugar,
Lastly, bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges are a slight golden color. Serve and enjoy!
Substitutions and variations
- If you are not vegan, you can substitute with regular unsalted butter and egg
- Add in some pecans to enhance flavor
- Substitute with real cranberries for a more tart flavor
- Add in some white chocolate chips to spice things up
In an airtight container at room temperature for about 5 days.
Vegan cranberry orange cookies
- Electric mixer
- Baking sheets x2
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- ½ cup vegan butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon orange zest 1 medium sized orange
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl and with an electric mixer on medium, cream together the vegan butter, granulated sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract, baking powder, flaxseed meal/water, and salt until well combined.
- Mix in the flour and dried cranberries until combined.
- Drop about 1½ tablespoon of batter onto the cookie sheets. They should have about 1½ to 2 in between each cookie. Using a bottom of a glass, flatten the cookie batter to about ½ in thick. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake the cookies for for 7-9 minutes until they are barely set or lightly golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and cool them on the pan. They need about 10 minutes to cool completely! Serve and enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
On average, American's favorite smell is banana! Really?