So with all this rain and fall weather, I have been craving the perfect addition to my Sunday chili! Cornbread cookies are just the ticket! A Sweet and savory combination and my favorite!
These cookies have enough sweetness with the honey, chewy centers and crispy edges! I am completely hooked, and so were my kids. Nonetheless, these cookies will now be served every time chili is served!
I have been making honey cornbread with my chili for years because I am a lover of all cornbreads! I don’t discriminate! However, I wanted to make something less messy to eat with my chili and that’s when I had the epiphany to make cornbread cookies!
Quick, easy, delicious and they are like Lays, you can’t eat just one! So bye bye honey cornbread and hello cornbread cookies! Looks like the new kid in town is here to stay!
Tips for the perfect cornbread cookies!
You will need an electric mixer for these cookies! However, follow these tips to make the perfect cornbread cookies!
- Room temperature butter is always best as it mixes up well. Do not melt the butter for this recipe or cookies will have a much different texture.
- Both sugars allow for the cookies to be soft in the center and crisp around the edges! In addition, provide amazing flavor!
- The cookies do spread in the oven, but will crisp up after they have cooled, so don’t fret. So it is important to bake until the edges are golden brown.
- Drizzle extra honey on top for added flavor!
How to make cornbread cookies
These cookies are simple to make and require only a couple of steps.
First, prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats. Set aside.
Second, in a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, both sugars, honey, eggs and vanilla extract. Next, add in the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch and mix until combined.
Lastly, drop about 2 tbsp of batter on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to complete cooling. Drizzle with extra honey if desired!
cookies, cookies, and more cookies!
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking trays x2
- Parchment paper or silicon mat
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl and with electric mixer, cream together the unsalted butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract, honey, and both eggs until completely combined.
- Add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch and mix until combined. Roll balls of cookie dough about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to complete cooling. Drizzle with extra honey if desired!
- Store in airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
fun fact of the day!
The word Dorito means “little golden things” in Spanish.