Easy coffee cake muffins are the best comfort breakfast. Rich and soft and one of my favorite muffins. You can't go wrong with a streusel topping! Grab a napkin, cut in half, slap some butter on and take a bite. BEST MUFFIN EVER!
Moist and easy to make, these muffins should be added to your weekly menu. In addition, they have a cinnamon swirl center, a streusel topping, and a cinnamon glaze. Not low in calories, but sure will satisfy any sweet breakfast craving, or any craving for that matter!
Ingredients and substitutions
Who wouldn't want a muffin that tastes like a coffee cake? Easy to make and even easier to eat! It is a win win situation all around!
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Buttermilk: If you don't have any in the fridge, combine one cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Only add the amount needed in the recipe!
- Sour cream: Yogurt can be sometimes substituted. They both give the muffins the soft texture.
- Ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- Confectioner's sugar
Why are these muffins so wonderful?
- Super moist and buttery
- Inexpensive and easy to make! Kids can help!
- The most ultimate breakfast comfort food or anytime of the day!
- Don't let the name fool you, coffee is not even in these coffee cake muffins!
What makes these muffins so fluffy?
Having the eggs, milk and butter at room temperature. The smooth mixture traps air and expands in the oven. The expansion makes the muffins light and fluffy!
How to make coffee cake muffins
Muffins are always a great way to start your day and fill up your kids bellies before school! Please see steps below on how to make these muffins!
- Make the three parts that comprise the muffins. Set aside.
- Transfer and layer the muffin batter into prepared muffin tin, add cinnamon swirl, and top each muffin off with streusel. Repeat until all muffins are done.
- Bake and cool. Prepare glaze while muffins are cooling.
- Drizzle with cinnamon glaze.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add in fruit such as cranberries to give it a tartness.
- Use a brown butter glaze on top.
- Make into a coffee cake using an 8x8 pan, baking time will vary.
Well, there is actually no coffee in these muffins. These muffins usually have a streusel topping and/or a glaze and they can be served with coffee. They are not frosted.
It can store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Coffee cake muffins
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Standard muffin tin and liners
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Cinnamon streusel topping
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease and line one standard muffin tin. Set aside. Melt butter in microwave.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and granulated sugar until combined. Add in one egg at a time and beat well after each addition. Add in the vanilla, buttermilk, and sour cream until incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in to a bowl and set aside.
Cinnamon Streusel topping
- Combine all the ingredients into a small bowl. Add in the melted butter and mix until clumps are formed. Set aside.
Assembly of muffins
- Using a large spoon, add batter to prepared muffin tins until they are ½ way full. Sprinkle a large spoonful of the cinnamon swirl topping onto each of the muffins. Next, add additional batter to the tops of the cinnamon swirl so they are about ¾ of the way full.
- Add the streusel topping onto each muffin, and gently press so that the mixture stays on. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°. Lower oven temperature to 375° and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Mix ingredients for the cinnamon glaze and drizzle on top of cooled muffins. Serve and enjoy!
Comfort breakfast foods
- Buttermilk coffee cake with cinnamon topping
- Lemon poppy seed scones
- Chocolate cake donuts
- Gluten free pumpkin muffins
Fun fact of the day!
Cotton candy was invented in 1897 by a Dentist! How ironic?
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.