It's almost the start of the summer weekend and the weather today was perfect for making homemade cinnamon sugar cake donuts. By weather, I mean 45 and cold as hell! Not the greatest, but what Memorial Day weekend is ever nice? So comfort food for breakfast was just the ticket.
These donuts are baked, super moist, and very easy to make. Sweet and with a cinnamon sugar coating makes them outstanding. Not exactly the most healthy, but who's counting calories this weekend?
I have only ever had the fried version of these donuts from an apple orchard, so making the baked version was easier, less messy, and to be honest tasted just as good!
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Sour cream: Low-fat greek yogurt can be substituted.
- Vegetable oil: Canola Oil can be used as well.
- Milk: 2% or whole
- Ground cinnamon
Step by step instructions
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the standard donut pan with non-stick spray and set aside until ready.
Second, in a medium sized mixing bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and and whisk together. In another large mixing bowl, mix together the egg, sour cream, oil, milk, and vanilla extract.
Third, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Transfer the batter to the piping bag fitted with 1 inch tip and pipe batter into donut pan. Melt butter and add to a bowl with the cinnamon and sugar. Mix together and set aside.
Lastly, bake for 10 minutes until donuts are set and slightly golden brown in color around the bottom edges. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove and dip tops (other parts of donut as well) in cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve and enjoy!
Variations and substitutions
- Make into mini donuts or even muffins. Bake times will vary.
- Add some warm fresh apple filling to the tops of within each donut.
- Fry the donuts if you feel up to it!
- Add a glaze on top to enhance flavor!
This recipe is very simple and doesn't require a lot of baking supplies. However, I do recommend these supplies to make the perfect round donut every time!
What makes these Cinnamon and Sugar cake Donuts so amazing?
- They are soft and "cakey".
- Very simple to make and can all be done within 30 minutes.
- They are not fried. However, don't get me wrong, I love a fried donut, but eating a baked one can be just as delicious!
- The cinnamon sugar coating gives the donut that extra crunch factor.
You can use a mini muffin pan and some aluminum foil to create a donut mold. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
It is 1:4. ¼ cup of cinnamon for 1 cup of sugar.
Baked Cinnamon and Sugar cake Donuts
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Piping bag fitted with round tip
- Standard donut pan
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar topping
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a standard donut pan with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add and whisk all the dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add and whisk all the wet ingredients together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. With the electric mixer on medium, mix until the batter is just combined. It will be very thick.
- Add batter to a piping bag fitted with the round tip. Pipe batter into donut cavities until ¾ of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes or until donuts are set. Let them cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cinnamon sugar mixture together. Either dip of brush tops of donuts until covered in mixture. Serve and enjoy!
Donuts, Donuts everywhere!
- Mochi Donuts
- Whipped Coffee Honey Donuts
- Brownie Donuts with Baileys Glaze
- Guilt Free Baked Cinnamon donuts
Fun fact of the day!
Rats and horses can't vomit. Just in case you were wondering and can't sleep at night over this!