The best cinnamon buttermilk coffee cake is my favorite breakfast dessert of all times. It is so moist, buttery, and melts in your mouth with each bite. The brown sugar topping is packed with the right amount of crunchiness. It gets the sweet taste buds going first thing in the morning and pairs well with a cup of Joe.
Other cinnamon flavored desserts to check out are my big cinnamon roll cake, easy coffee cake muffins, and cinnamon rolls with apple filling.
Looking at this cake immediately transports me back to my Sophomore year in high school. I was in my Foods Class when I learned how to make this delicious cake. After making it once, I was hooked and have made it every chance I can get!
At one point I had lost this recipe but am super grateful to my mom for finding it in her pile of cook books and papers. This has become a family favorite over the years and it is a cake that my kiddos look forward to on Christmas morning.
Move over Starbucks Coffee cake you have a new kid in town and this ones coming for you. No really guys, this coffee cake is so moist, buttery and complete with a cinnamon crumb topping.
Ingredients and substitutions
- All-purpose flour: cake flour or yellow cake mix can be substituted.
- Buttermilk: It helps add lightness to this cake. If you don't have any on hand, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of milk and use this substitution.
- Brown sugar: Enhances the flavor of the cake.
- Ground Cinnamon: Makes the cinnamon topping the best!
Tips and tricks
- Make sure ingredients are at room temperature before mixing.
- Other size pans can be used such as an 8x10 pan. Baking times will vary.
- Add in pecans or walnuts to bring out the nutty flavor in the cake.
- Other variations of this cake have been made with sour cream and/or cream cheese.
How to make coffee cake
Preheat the oven to 350. Be sure to grease your 9x13 cake pan. Put all your dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, blend together your room temperature butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add one egg at a time.
Slowly add in your dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Your batter will be crumbly and that is ok. Add in the buttermilk until combined. Your batter will be thick. Transfer to prepared cake pan.
Cinnamon crumb topping
Combine ingredients for the topping in a bowl and mix together. You will add half of the topping on the cake batter and bake for 40-45 minutes. Once cake has cooled for 30 minutes add the rest of the topping. Serve and enjoy!
Most coffee cakes are served with a cinnamon streusel topping, but you can also add a cinnamon glaze or vanilla glaze to the top. It will compliment the cake well.
Crumb cake has a larger amount of topping whereas a coffee cake is made with a lesser amount of topping.
It is a sweet cake in the United States that is served with either coffee or tea. There is actually no coffee inside of the cake.
Store in an airtight container for 1-2 days at room temperature. It will last a week in the refrigerator.
Cakes to enjoy!
Buttermilk coffee cake with cinnamon topping
- Electric mixer with beaters
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x12 pan
- 3½ cups Flour
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter rm temperature, 2 sticks
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 13x9 in pan.
- Combine and whisk all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in one egg at a time and blend well.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients, batter will be crumbly.
- Lastly add in buttermilk until all batter is well blended. Batter will be thick and this is normal.
- Combine in one bowl, butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon with pastry blender. Pour half of the topping on the cake batter. You will not use all the topping. Save for after the cake is baked.
- Put in oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean in the middle.
- Let cake cool for 30 minutes and put on rest of cinnamon topping on. Cut and serve!
- Cake is served best on day 1 or 2. Can stay fresh for up to week in the fridge if sealed in an airtight container
- Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Fun fact of the day!
The different colors Foot Loops cereal all taste the same- they're not individual flavors. I was this old when I just discovered this!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Leave a Reply