The buttermilk coffee cake with cinnamon topping is my favorite breakfast dessert of all times. The butter and cinnamon in this cake really compliment each other well. The brown sugar topping is packed with the right amount of sweetness that dissolves in your mouth. It gets the sweet taste buds going first thing in the morning with a cup of Joe!
Another one of my cakes that is packed full of a delicious cinnamon-y punch is my big cinnamon roll cake Check it out!
Looking at this cake immediately transports me back to my Sophomore year in high school. I was in my Foods Class when I learned how to make this delicious masterpiece. By far one of the best coffee cakes I have ever tasted.
At one point I had lost this recipe but am super grateful to my mom for finding it in her pile of cook books and papers. This has become a family favorite over the years. I even have made it a tradition to make this on Christmas morning! I know my kiddos wake up and look forward to gobbling this down.
Move over Starbucks Coffee cake you have a new kid in town and this ones coming for you. No really guys, this coffee cake is so moist, buttery and complete with a cinnamon crumb topping.
What's in buttermilk coffee cake
- All-purpose flour: cake flour can also be used for this cake.
- Buttermilk: It helps add lightness to this cake. If you don’t have any on hand, add 1 tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of milk and use this substitution.
- Brown sugar: Helps give the cake its amazing flavor.
- Ground Cinnamon: Makes the cinnamon topping the best!
How to make the buttermilk coffee cake with cinnamon topping
Preheat the oven to 350. Be sure to grease your 9×13 cake pan. Put all your dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, blend together your room temperature butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add one egg at a time.
Slowly add in your dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Your batter will be crumbly and that is ok. Add in the buttermilk until combined. Your batter will be thick. Put in the oven and cake is done with the tester comes out clean. Cool for about 15-20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Cakes to indulge on!
Buttermilk coffee cake with cinnamon topping
- Electric mixer with beaters
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x12 pan
- 3½ cups Flour
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter rm temperature, 2 sticks
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 13x9 in pan.
- Combine and whisk all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in one egg at a time and blend well.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients, batter will be crumbly.
- Lastly add in buttermilk until all batter is well blended. Batter will be thick and this is normal.
- Combine in one bowl, butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon with pastry blender. Pour half of the topping on the cake batter. You will not use all the topping. Save for after the cake is baked.
- Put in oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean in the middle.
- Let cake cool for 30 minutes and put on rest of cinnamon topping on. Cut and serve!
- May use light or dark brown sugar. It all depends on what you like best.
- Cake is served best on day 1 or 2. Can stay fresh for up to week in the fridge if sealed in an airtight container
- Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Fun fact of the day!
The different colors Foot Loops cereal all taste the same- they’re not individual flavors. I was this old when I just discovered this!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.