I don’t know much about the Amish tradition, except for what I see on TLC’s Breaking Amish! But what I do know is that this Cinnamon Apple Amish Bread is so delightful. My version is without the traditional starter as I wanted to eat some bread now and didn’t have the patience for 10 days! It is loaded with tart apples, cinnamon and sugar. It is the perfect quarantine comfort food during these lonesome times. So here’s to continuing to pack on the quarantine 15!!!
Cinnamon apple AMish bread
Amish Friendship Bread is a chain letter of baking. It traditionally started with a mixture of flour, sugar, milk, water and yeast that is mixed together for 10 days at room temperature. You then keep some of the starter for your own loaf of bread or cake and then pass on to friends to do the same.
Well, in my case I took a different route. With the COVID-19 outbreak, my guess even my closest friends wouldn’t want anything to bake with that hasn’t been disinfected! So I did my recipe without the starter and added some apples. Again, I like to go off the beaten path and try different things. Needless to say, this bread turned out incredible. Even though I didn’t make the starter, I will be giving out this recipe to my friends to try during the pandemic!
How to make Cinnamon Apple AMish bread
Another simple bread to make. However, the only thing that takes time is how long this bread has to bake! Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 Tasty loaf pans.
In a large mixing bowl blend your softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in one egg at a time until combined well. Alternate by putting in two cups of flour and 1 cup of buttermilk until all has been added. Lastly, mix in baking soda and pinch of salt. Set aside until ready to pour in pan.
Pour half of batter into bottom of loaf pan. Put half of apple cinnamon mixture on top and repeat once more until loaf pan is 2/3 full. Bake in oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes approximately. Knife will come out clean.
Cinnamon Apple mixture
Cinnamon Apple Amish Bread
- Oster electric hand mixer
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 Tasty 9x5 loaf pan
- Apple peeler
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
Cinnamon Apple mixture
- 1 large granny smith apple chopped
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 2 9x5 in loaf pans with butter shortening.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time until blended well.
- Add in buttermilk, flour, baking soda and salt until incorporated well.
- Pour half of the mixture into the loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon apple mixture on top. Pour the remaining half of the bread batter on top and then the rest of the apple cinnamon mixture. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon apple mixture through the batter. Only fill about ⅔ full as bread will rise while baking.
Cinnamon apple mixture
- Peel one large granny smith apple. Chop it up and put in small bowl. Add in cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Set aside.
Fun Fact of the day!
Cats have over 100 vocal sounds; dogs only have 10. You could have fooled me, my damn dog has about a 1000!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.