Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how lovely are your branches! And pretty ornaments. I know my jingle was super cheesy but these Christmas ornament mirror glaze cupcakes are not! They are delish!
A vanilla cupcake loaded with Christmas sprinkles, topped with a mousse cake, drizzled with red and green mirror glaze and then topped with a rolo! Um, Yummy! One bite and I was in heaven! Your Christmas will never be the same again if you add these to your menu!
What exactly is Mirror Glaze?
This was my first shot at trying out mirror glaze and I do need to perfect it a little better. Nonetheless, it tastes fantastic!
Mirror glaze is made out of sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, water, sugar and gelatin. Other things such as flavorings or colors can be added as well. It will only set well on a mousse cake or a frosted cake.
I can’t wait to test further mirror glazes out on other types or cake in the future!
INgredients in mirror glaze cupcakes
- There are actually quite a few ingredients when making these Christmas ornament mirror glaze cupcakes. The listed ingredients below are for the cupcakes, buttercream frosting, mousse cake and mirror glaze. So buckle up!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Unsalted butter
- Sour cream: yogurt can be substituted
- Vanilla extract
- Christmas Sprinkles
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Sweetened condensed milk
- White chocolate
- Americolor: red and green food coloring
Tips for success for mirror glaze cupcakes
- Be sure to use high quality white chocolate. More than 30% cocoa butter is best.
- Freeze your mousse cake for at least 2 hours before popping it out of the silicon molds. Mirror glaze sticks better to very cold mousse.
- Strain your glaze so the mixture is smooth, you don’t want lumps in your glaze.
- Put the mousse cakes on top of a glass cup or pan so the glaze will drip off.
How to make christmas ornament mirror glaze cupcakes
- Make and bake the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two standard cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Mix dry ingredients together (or sift) to combine and then add softened butter (mixture will look like course sand). Add all wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix on medium until thoroughly combined. Fold in Xmas sprinkles. Pour batter into liners (3/4 full) Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Make buttercream frosting: in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter in medium speed until smooth. Slowly add in the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla. salt and heavy cream. Beat until light and fluffy. Pipe a layer on each cupcake and add more sprinkles. Set aside.
- Prepare mousse cake: This should be done 1 day ahead. Combine white chocolate, heavy cream and salt in microwavable bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate has melted and is smooth. Let cool. Whisk gelatin together with water and let it absorb. Whip remaining heavy cream to stiff peaks. Add in gelatin (melt for 10 seconds) and half of chocolate mixture until well combined. Next, add in the rest of the chocolate mixture. Pour into silicon molds and place in fridge overnight.
- Prepare mirror glaze: Bloom gelatin in water for 5 minutes. In a saucepan, heat the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, water to a simmer. Add in the gelatin until it is completely dissolved. Place white chocolate in a heat proof bowl and pour hot mixture over chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Use immersion blender to smooth mixture. Strain the mixture to remove lumps and set aside. Allow glaze to cool to 90 F. Divide glaze between two bowls, add in food coloring and put in squeeze bottles.
- Assembly of the cupcakes: Take two mousse spheres out of the mold and press together to get ball. Place on top of glass and drizzle mirror glaze over. Place ball on top of cupcake and top off with Rolo. Serve and enjoy.
Enjoy these other cupcakes!
Christmas ornament mirror glaze cupcakes
- Electric hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Half circle silicon molds
- Standard cupcake pan
- Large saucepan
Vanilla cupcakes with Christmas sprinkles
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 2 large egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup sprinkles christmas
Vanilla Buttercream frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz white chocolate
- 1½ cup heavy cream divided
- 3 tsp gelatin bloomed and then melted
- 2 tbsp water cold
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅔ cup water
- 12 oz white chocolate
- 4 tsp gelatin
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
- 18 Rolos
Vanilla cupcakes with Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside (recipe made 18).
- In a large mixing bowl and with electric mixer on low, add the flour, baking powder, salt and granulated sugar and mix for 1-2 minutes until well blended. Add in the softened butter and mix until mixture resembles a fine sand texture.
- Add in the milk, egg, sour cream, oil and vanilla extract into dry ingredients. Blend well until completely incorporated. Add in the Christmas sprinkles and mix for another 25 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner ¾ full (2 tbsp). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to completely cool on a wire rack before frosting them.
Vanilla buttercream frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on low medium for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Add in the confectioner's sugar slowly, vanilla, and pinch of salt until combined. Lastly, add in the heavy cream and increase speed and beat until light and fluffy. Set aside until ready for assembly.
- Combine the white chocolate, ½ cup heavy cream, and salt in a microwavable bowl. Heat for 30 second intervals until melted. Stir after each interval. Add in vanilla extract and caramel. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add gelatin to bowl and add cold water. Whisk and set aside to allow for the gelatin to absorb water.
- Whip the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream to stiff peaks. Pour in half of the room temperature chocolate mixture, and gelatin (heat up for 10 seconds before adding to mixture to melt) and fold until combined. Add in the last of the chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into silicon molds and allow them to set overnight. To remove them, gently cut the very top of the opening using a sharp knife and invert the mousse out of the molds. Set aside in fridge.
- Bloom gelatin with ½ cup of water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat milk, sugar and water in a sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add in bloomed gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl. Pour hot mixture over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Once chocolate has softened, use a blender to smooth mixture. Pour mixture through a strainer to remove any remaining lumps.
- Allow glaze to cool to 91° before coloring and pouring. If it is too thin allow it to cool more, if it is too thick heat up for 10 seconds in a microwave.
Assembly of cupcakes
- Drizzle each mousse cake with desired color of mirror glaze. Set on top of cupcake and add rolo candy on top. Serve and enjoy!
fun fact of the day!
The world’s largest cupcake weighed over 1,200 lbs! What in the world! That’s a Huge cupcake!