Ok, I am so on a roll with ice cream desserts and I couldn’t more excited to share an oldie but goodie with you. Chocolate chip ice cream cookie sandwiches are the best thing next to sliced bread!
Homemade chocolate chip cookies with a chewy center, crunchy outside, and sandwiched in between creamy vanilla ice cream. This dessert is a classic one and served at any kids birthday or pool party in the summertime. Personally, you can’t go wrong making this for any summer party. They will be gobbled up in seconds!
It was the summer of 1988 (yes I was 8) and we were in the middle of a summer draught. So hot that we had to go swimming at night because the temperatures were unbearable. Nonetheless, ice cream kept us cool that summer and I remember eating the Chipwich ice cream cookie sandwich. I can literally almost taste it now!
Its taste was amazing and it melted almost as fast as I ate it. Eating ice cream was one of our jobs and we were all good at it!
Ingredients to make chocolate chip ice cream cookie sandwiches
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar: light or dark
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter: Melted butter almost always gives you that chewy center and it freezes well. I only use unsalted butter so I can control how much salt goes in my desserts and it just tastes better!
- Vanilla extract
- Eggs: Binds the cookies together.
- Baking soda
- Semi sweet chocolate chips: regular and mini. Milk chocolate chips can be used. These are what make the sandwich if you ask me!
- Vanilla ice cream: Kroger brand is the best. But you can substitute any flavor of ice cream that goes well with chocolate chips cookies (which is just about anything)! Other types of frostings will also be a great addition!
Tips for success
- Always start with a great homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe. You want it to be a more chewy cookie versus a crunchier one.
- You always want to “underbake” your cookies. The softer and chewy the center is the better it will freeze and will remain soft even if in the freezer for weeks on end.
- Store bought cookies will work, but buy the dough and bake yourself. In addition, you will have control over how doughy your center will be.
- Never put too much ice cream between the cookies. You want a nice even layer.
- Trust and don’t rush the process. Frozen desserts take time and although this one is not difficult, time and patience are key!
How to make chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches
- Prepare a 9×13 cake pan: Line a cake pan with plastic wrap and then parchment paper. Add the softened vanilla ice cream to pan, create an even layer with offset spatula and freeze overnight.
- Make chocolate chip cookie dough: Combine and mix wet ingredients together. Add in the dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips. Set the cookie dough in refrigerator to chill overnight.
- Bake cookies: Take out cookie dough from freezer and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop dough onto lined baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 11 minutes or until center slightly puffs up but is not completely done. Put in freezer to cool completely.
- Assemble sandwiches: Cut out 3 inch ice cream round with cookie cutter. Place round in between two cooled cookies. Roll in additional mini chocolate chips.
- Serve and enjoy!
Summer time is for desserts!
Chocolate chip ice cream cookie sandwiches
- 9x13 cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Electric hand mixer
- Off set spatula
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 3 inch round cookie cutter
- Silicon baking mat
- Cookie scoop
Chocolate chip cookie sandwich
- ½ gallon vanilla ice cream Kroger brand
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
Chocolate chip cookie sandwiches
- Line a 9x13 cake pan with plastic wrap and then parchment paper on top. Scoop the softened vanilla ice cream into the pan. With an offset spatula, smooth it out into an even layer. Freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, mix together the melted butter and both sugars. Beat until well combined. Add in both eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in both types of chocolate chips. Refrigerate the cookie dough overnight.
- When cookies are ready to be baked, preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with a silicon mat. Using a 1 oz cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough into balls about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for only 11 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown. You want the centers to still be gooey. Place cookies in the freezer to cool off.
- When ready for assembly, take out vanilla ice cream from freezer. Using the 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds of ice cream and sandwich them between two baked and cooled cookies. Press the sandwiches together firmly to get the cookies to stick well to the ice cream round. Roll each sandwich in more mini chocolate chips.
- Place sandwiches in the freezer to chill for 2 hours. Allow the sandwiches to thaw slightly before serving.
fun fact of the day!
The chocolate chip cookie was created by accident!