An easy chocolate cherry bundt cake is one heck of a tongue twister to say! However, it is on my dessert menu for this evening!
It is a super rich and moist bundt cake filled with a ton of maraschino cherries and topped off with a chocolate glaze. The perfect comfort food for this cold and windy here in Muk town!
Maraschino cherries are an old fashioned cherry seen in a lot of drinks such as Brandy old Fashioned (my mom's fav) and even in Shirley Temple's (kids fav). However, they are also baked within a lot of desserts and as a garnish on top!
This chocolate cherry bundt cake is loaded with about 30 oz of these cherries and it really compliments the chocolate flavor of the cake. If you are in a pinch, cherry pie filling or even canned sweet cherries will work. In addition, when fresh cherries are in season (not this time if year) they will also be amazing within this cake!
The chocolate glaze is simple and only takes about five minutes to make from start to finish! A Semi-sweet chocolate glaze drizzled on top really completes the finishing touches to this cake!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Maraschino cherries: can substitute with frozen or fresh cherries when in season.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Dutch processed cocoa powder can be used as well.
- 2% milk: whole milk will work as well.
- Vegetable oil: Canola oil is also a great substitute.
- Confectioner's sugar
- Semi-sweet chocolate: Can use milk or dark chocolate for the glaze as well.
- If you would like to make this recipe quicker, substitute with a devils food cake mix.
Tips for preventing bundt cake sticking to pan
When I first started making bundt cakes, I had a huge problem with the cake sticking to the pan. Nonetheless, it resulted in half of my cake still left in the pan and leaving me to start over! Which was a total pain in the you know what! Please follow some of these suggestions if you want to get your bundt cake out on the first try!
- Use Bakers joy spray in every inch of the standard size bundt pan. Don't be stingy with this spray! Aldi's also sells a cheaper version of the spray and it works well!
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 15 minutes in the pan before inverting in onto a cake plate. By allowing this, the cake will slide more easily onto the plate.
- Use a silicon spatula to help release cake from pan. A knife or metal spatula will scrape up the bundt pan.
- Don't let the batter sit in the pan for a long time before baking it. This will allow it to stick more versus if you bake it right away.
How to make a chocolate cherry bundt cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bundt pan with spray. Set aside.
- Drain cherries and chop them. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, egg, almond extract and oil until well combined.
- In another bowl. whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold cherries into batter and transfer batter to prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to sit for 15 minutes before releasing and inverting onto a cake plate. Cool completely.
Chocolate glaze for cake
This part is simple. Combine the semi-sweet chocolate and butter into a microwavable bowl. Heat at 15 second intervals until completely melted. Add in sifted confectioner's sugar and boiling water. Mix until you get desired consistency. More confectioner's sugar may need to be added if too thin or more water if too thick.
Drizzle over the cooled bundt cake and slice and enjoy!
How to store chocolate cherry bundt cake
Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days at room temperature.
In the freezer, it is best to freeze the cake without the glaze. Wrap in plastic wrap and then in an airtight container. Thaw to room temperature before unwrapping cake. This will prevent the cake from drying out.
Chocolate cherry bundt cake
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Bundt cake pan
Chocolate cherry bundt cake
- 30 oz maraschino cherries
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 4 tablespoon cherry juice boiling
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a standard size bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- Drain the maraschino cherries and coarsely chop with a knife. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, vegetable oil, milk, egg, and almond extract.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chopped cherries gently into the batter and pour batter into prepared bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Invert on a cake plate and let cool completely.
Chocolate cherry glaze
- In a microwavable bowl, add the chocolate and butter. Melt at 15 second intervals until mixture is completely melted and smooth. Add in sifted confectioner's sugar and stir until combined. Add in boiling water in small increments until desired consistency is reached for the glaze.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled bundt cake and top with more cherries as desired.
Cherry recipes to enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
All Fruit loops taste the same. Even though they have different colors, their flavors are the same!