Hey, she got the way to move me, Cherry. She got the way to groove me, Cherry baby! I am channeling my inner Neil Diamond with this gem of a song. And if you have not already guessed, my next creation is none other than Cherry Muffins!
I really do love my songs and am a walking karaoke machine at times, but Neil is on a whole other level! You want to know what else is on a whole other level? Cherry muffins! These are delightful!
A soft, moist and sweet maraschino cherry muffin topped with a cherry vanilla glaze. So simple, but yet so sweet! Honestly, these are the perfect summertime muffin. So sit down, grab one of these and turn on Neil and you have the start to a perfect day!
Writing this post to start the week was hard after coming off of a long holiday weekend. Nonetheless, it had to be done and I am glad it was with these simple muffins. I just couldn’t bring myself to do a long tutorial on a lengthy recipe (maybe next week).
Our family did a lot of relaxing, swimming in our new 10 inch pool (the kids thought you gave them the world and love it), house sitting a nervous nellie dog, and baking away for my weekly local farmer’s market. Phew, I am tired, but back to reality of being a mom and the chaotic schedule of my kids!
What is in these cherry muffins?
tips for the best cherry muffins
- Never OVERMIX a batter, and only mix until just combined. If mixed too much, the muffins will turn out dense.
- It is important to toss the cherries in flour before adding to batter because the extra flour allows them not to sink to bottom of batter.
- Line muffin tins with liners or use non-stick spray
- This recipe can be made as a 9×5 bread or even several mini loafs. Just adjust baking times accordingly.
Can I freeze these muffins?
Yes, these muffins can be frozen and sealed in an airtight container for up to 6 months. However, it is important to not add the glaze on before freezing them.
How to make these awesome cherry muffins
These cherry muffins are pretty simple and can be prepped all within 15 minutes!
First, start by spraying or lining you muffin tins. Set these aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take out the cherries from the jar, remove the stems, and chop them up. Put in a bowl and mix with 2 tbsp of flour to coat. Set aside.
Second, whisk together all the of the dry ingredients. Next, whisk wet ingredients. Combine the dry with the wet and mix on medium low until just combined. Gently fold in chopped cherries.
Third, transfer batter to prepared muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in tin for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to complete cooling.
Fourth, make the cherry vanilla glaze. Dip each muffin top in the glaze and enjoy!
Breakfast items to enjoy!
- Electric mixer
- Muffin tins
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Non-stick spray
- 2 cups all purpose flour plus 2 tbsp for chopped up cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 10 oz maraschino cherries
- ½ cup cherry juice divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
Cherry Vanilla glaze
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two muffins tins with non stick spray and set aside. Remove cherries from the jar, take off stems, and chop up into pieces. Sprinkle them with flour and put in bowl. Split up the cherry juice (some for muffins and some for glaze) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium sized mixing bowl, combine the eggs, oil, cherry juice, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix on medium until just combined. Fold in cherries. Transfer batter (very thick) to prepared muffins tins and fill about ⅔ full. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cherry Vanilla glaze
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and cherry juice until you have reached your desired consistency for glaze. Dip the tops of each cooled muffin and serve!
fun fact of the day!
Maraschino cherries were originally preserved in Maraschino liqueur.