Uh-Oh Cheerios! That is the simple phrase I think of whenever I see a box of Cheerios. I have to admit, I secretly love this brand of cereal and all of its flavors. Super delicious and heart healthy! Believe it or not, so are my amazing 4 ingredient cheerio bars!
Since school is in full swing for two of my kiddos, I wanted to be able to give them an on the go snack that is super heart healthy versus the Butterfinger they would prefer (who doesn't love a Butterfinger, and more for me).
Ingredients and substitutions
With only 4 ingredients in this Cheerio Bars recipe, it can be made within minutes. Most of these may even be found in your pantry.
- Cheerios: I used apple cinnamon to stick with the fall theme I have going on, but most any flavor can be used. You can also use Cornflakes, Rice chex, or even Fruit loops.
- Peanut butter: creamy of any kind of peanut butter works, but I prefer Peter pan or Jif.
- Honey: I bought from my local farmer's market! Supporting local is the best! Use corn syrup as a substitute.
- Ground cinnamon
What makes these bars so amazing?
- Easy to make with only 4 ingredients
- Kid friendly for all ages!
- Crispy and chewy all at the same time!
How to make cheerio bars
- Prepare 8x8 pan: line pan with parchment paper or foil. Pour Cheerios in large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt ingredients together: In a large saucepan, melt peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon.
- Pour over Cheerios: Pour mixture over Cheerios in bowl and mix until all the cereal is coated.
- Place in prepared pan: Pour Cheerio mixture into prepared pan and press firmly and evenly. Place in fridge for 1 hour!
- Serve bars: Cut and serve bars. Place leftovers in fridge.
- Use a different variety of cereals
- Add in marshmallows, any kind of chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or cinnamon chips. Also, melt chocolate to layer on top of bars.
- Different candies can be added in such Reese's pieces or M&M's.
Either wet your fingers or spray them with non-stick spray.
Yes to both. At room temperature in an airtight container, they will last 2 days at room temperature.
Amazing cheerio bars
- 8x8 pan
- Parchment paper
- Large saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 3 cups apple cinnamon cheerios
- 1 cup peanut butter creamy
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside. Pour Cheerios in large bowl.
- In a large saucepan, add peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon. Melt completely. Pour over Cheerios and mix with spatula until all Cheerios are covered.
- Place mixture into prepared pan and press firmly until even in pan. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting and serving. Leave leftovers in fridge.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days.
Bars you will enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
There is a "Cheerios effect". In fluid mechanics when floating objects attract one another, just like Cheerios in a bowl of milk.