Little bunny foo foo, hoppin through the forest, scooping up the field mice and boppin them on the head! Easter songs are on my brain after having to teach my 4k daughter from home due to exposure from COVID! What better way to celebrate Easter than with the best carrot cake loaf with cream cheese frosting!
It is a more simplified version than my carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. However, simplified does not mean the taste is less amazing! In fact, I'm pretty sure it is even more stupendous! The loaf is super moist and still has all that awesome carrot cake flavor. Slice away and with less mess!
As aforementioned in a previous post, my love for carrot cake is strong. I love all the flavors and different spices with each bite. Cream cheese frosting is also the perfect compliment to carrot cake in any form because it brings out the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and carrot flavors.
The carrot cake loaf recipe is quick bread and should be served during Easter, breakfast, or in my opinion any time of the year!
- All-purpose flour
- Light brown sugar: gives extra flavor to the cake
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
- Walnuts: any nuts can be used, but these are the traditional ones in carrot cake.
- Cream cheese
- Confectioner's sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Unsweetened applesauce: add moisture to the cake.
Step by step instructions
This recipe is less time consuming than my traditional carrot cake!
Second, whisk all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and both sugars. Add in vanilla and eggs one at a time. Blend well after each addition.
Third, mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well combined. With a spatula, fold in applesauce, carrots and walnuts. Pour batter into greased loaf pan (will have a little left over, it will make a small loaf as well). Bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let it cool for 5 minutes before frosting.
Fourth, combine all frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy. Spread over slightly cooled loaf and slice away!
Variations and substitutions
- Make into mini carrot cake loafs using this pan
- Add in regular, golden raisins, or coconut to enhance flavor
- Use a coconut cream frosting
- Make it with a brown butter cream cheese frosting to give it a more nutty flavor
Carrot cake loaf can be stored unfrosted and covered in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days. If layered with cream cheese frosting, put in the fridge covered for 4 days.
Carrot cake is packed with flavor and moisture. Applesauce and shredded carrots give the loaf recipe it's moist texture. I have found that the store bought carrot sticks are thicker and more dry and create a drier texture for the cake.
Carrot Cake loaf with cream cheese frosting
- Electric hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x5 loaf pan
- Silicon Spatula
- Vegetable peeler
- Non-stick spray
Carrot cake loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
Cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
Carrot cake loaf
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients and set aside. Shred the carrots with a vegetable peeler and put into small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract and eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the shredded carrots, walnuts, and applesauce with a spatula. Pour batter into loaf pan only½ to ⅔ full. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until knife inserted into the middle of loaf comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before putting on cream cheese frosting.
Cream cheese frosting
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together cream cheese and butter until smooth and cream. Add in the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and salt until well combined. Drizzle frosting over carrot cake loaf. Slice and serve!
Fun fact of the day!
Loud music causes you to drink more in less time!