Release the Caramel Apple pie Piecaken (in my best Liam Neeson voice)! This dessert consists of a homemade caramel apple pie with butter rum caramel sauce within a french vanilla store bought cake. I topped it off with my homemade caramel apple buttercream frosting. To say the least, this cake was orgasmic and I am super grateful to Chef Zac Young for inventing this masterpiece.
Another one of my orgasmic masterpieces is my buttermilk coffee cake with cinnamon topping It blows Starbucks out of the water!
How to make the Caramel Apple Pie Piecaken?
Shiznit…..this recipe takes a ton of time. You can do it the cop out way completely and buy your pie and cake mix from the store, do it my half assed way and bake your own pie and use the cake mix from the store, or do everything from scratch. But even the way I did it took a crap ton of time. Either way, it should turn out delicious! I will list the steps below!!!
God Bless my great Aunt Marion for giving me the best friggin pie crust recipe out there! It is so flaky and melts in your mouth.
There are not many steps to it, but it just works! In a large bowl, you combine 1lb of lard, 5 cups or flour and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Whisk that until combined. Then in a 1 Cup measuring cup, you add a beaten egg, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and the rest with cold water until cup is full. Put on dry ingredients and then mix like hell with the pastry blender. Once completely combined, you split it up into two large balls and chill for an hour.
Remove from fridge and roll out one ball on a floured surface and place in the bottom of your pie pan (make sure to leave enough to have dough hanging over the edges). Set that aside along with the other ball of dough.
BUtter Rum caramel sauce
This sauce was literally the best caramel sauce I have ever eaten. I have to give a shout out to a friend of mine who gave me the recipe for the sauce and the apple pie filling. You guys, she’s an amazing and personal chef here in the Milwaukee area. Please look her up Chef Lissie Vorberg!
You start out by putting the sugar, corn syrup, water and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Put on medium heat and stir until the sugar completely dissolves. Bring to a boil until the sauce is a darm amber color. DO NOT STIR as it will crystallize. If you notice spots getting darker just lightly swirl! You then turn your heat to low and add your heavy cream! Lis was not kidding, I got a whole lot of splitter splatter! Continue to stir until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and add a little Capt’n Capt’n Morgan, salt and Vanilla! Allow to cool.
Apple Pie filling
This part of my recipe had my panties in a frenzy! I literally dropped about 3 of my apples about 16 friggin times, my daughter had to have her butt wiped about 3 times (yes, she is finally potty trained at almost 4) and my son was eating these suction cup thingy’s in the playroom. Thank God no ER visits were had!
I love me some apple pie fillin! You start by putting the spices and flour in a small bowl. Mix together. Then you add the lemon juice to your sliced and peeled apples. Pour spices on top and mix well. Put apples in the pie plate bottom crust.
Once the apples are in, you vent the other ball of dough you rolled out already and then place on top of the apples. Make sure to pinch the edges together and cut off excess dough. You then can pour caramel apple sauce over the pie. It does get a little bit messy, so place pie on foil lined baking sheet.
Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce your heat to 350 and bake for another 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. For the purposes of this recipe, I refridgerated my pie overnight. For best results for a piecaken, the pie needs to be completely cooled.
Betty crocker French Vanilla cake mix
Well…… not much to it, prepare cake mix as directed. Now I added some ground cinnamon to give it that extra flavor!
The assembly and Birth of the Piecaken!
This part had me a bit nervous as I was scared that I was going to kill my pie, but thankfully I didn’t! You add half of the vanilla batter to the bottom of a greased 9 in springform pan, place that bad boy apple pie upside down on top of vanilla batter, and then put the rest of the batter on top. Place in oven at 350 and bake for 90 whole minutes or until cake in the center is set. Half way through make sure you cover the sides of the cake with foil as they bake faster than the center!
You then can take that beautiful creation out of the oven and frost the beast! I have to say this is one hell of a long post and I am glad you are all still reading this!
Caramel apple buttercream frosting
Yummy! With your kitchenmaid stand mixer you mix together butter, salt until fluffy. Add in your confectioner’s sugar 1-2 cups at a time. Lastly, add in you apple juice concentrate and Hershey’s caramel syrup. You may have to add more confectioner’s sugar to get your desired consistency. Once cake has cooled, spread this bad boy on top of the piecaken and your taste buds will be waiting patiently for that first bite!
Caramel apple pie piecaken
- Electric mixer with beaters
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rubber spatula
- 9 in pie pan
- 9 in springform cake pan
- Sauce pan
- flat spatula
- cake decorating plate and decorating stand
- apple corer and peeler
- Rolling pin
- pastry blender
Homeade pie crust
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lb lard can substitute with shortening
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ice cold water please see directions on how to add
- 1 egg beaten
Butter rum caramel sauce
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup spiced dark rum
Apple pie filling
- 7 cups granny smith apples peeled and sliced
- 3 tsbp flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
French Vanilla Cake mix
- 1 box Betty Crockers cake mix
Caramel Apple buttercream frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temp 2 sticks
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4-5 tsp apple juice concentrate
- ½ cup hershey's caramel sauce
- 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lard, 5 cups of flour and granulated sugar. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup (1 cup) put your beaten egg in, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and then fill the rest with ice cold water until full.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix with pastry blender until a large ball of dough is formed and all the flour is combined. Dough should not be sticky. Chill for an hour and separate into 2 balls.
- Place one dough on a floured flat surface and roll out flat until it is about as thin as a quarter. Place 9 in pie pan on top and cut out circle around pie pan. Place dough at the bottom on the pie pan with extra dough hanging over the edges.
Butter Rum caramel sauce
- Combine the granulated sugar, water, corn syrup and lemon juice in sauce pan. Place on medium heat and stir ONLY until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil WITHOUT STIRRING until mixture is a deep amber color. If you notice that one spot is darkening and the rest is not, pick up the pan and gently swirl. Don't stir as it will crystalize!
- Turn the heat to low and add the heavy cream. Be careful as it is going to splatter. Continue to cook while stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened. Once it has thickened, remove from the heat and add the salt, vanilla and rum. Stir until well combined and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour and the spices. In a separate bowl, coat the apple slices with the lemon juice. Next toss the apples with the flour mixture. Place the apples into the prepared pie plate with bottom crust.
- Roll out the remaining dough on the floured surface and vent with at least 3 holes (I used a piping top). Place on top of apples in crust. Trim the edges of both the bottom and top crust and pinch together to form a nice edge.
- Pour in 1½ cups of butter rum caramel sauce over the pie letting it drip down in the pie. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350°and bake until the crust is a golden brown in color. Approximately 35 minutes. This does get very messy, so place pie on a full lined baking sheet. Allow pie to completely cool. I placed it in the fridge with a light foil on top overnight. This works better when making the piecaken.
Caramel apple buttercream frosting
- In the stand mixer combine the butter and salt. Mix on a medium speed until the butter is light and fluffy. Scraping down the mixture.
- Slowly add in the confectioner's sugar 1-2 cups at a time while the mixer is on medium. Stopping to scrape down the bowl if needed.
- Once confectioner's sugar is mixed, add in the apple juice concentrate and hershey's caramel and turn the speed up to high. If mixture seems to wet, just add more confectioner's sugar to get your desired consistency.
Betty Crocker French Vanilla cake mix
- Prepare mix as directed. I did add one tsp of cinnamon to my mix.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease your 9 in spring pan with crisco. Pour ½ of the french vanilla cake mix into the bottom of the pan. Place your caramel apple pie upside down on top of the batter. Then lastly add the rest of the french vanilla batter on top. Don't worry if it seems like a tight fit, the batter will fall around the pie and bake over it.
- It will bake for 90 minutes. Half way through be sure to put aluminum foil around the edges as they bake much faster than the center. Once the center is set the cake is done.
- Allow to cool for about 1-2 hours and then frost.
- Make pie the day before as it has time to set and cool
- I recommend that once the dessert is done to let it cool for 1-2 hours and then store in an airtight container and frost the next day.
- Will stay good when stored in the airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Freeze for up to 2 months.
Fun Fact of the day!
Did you know that elephants have a prehensile penis? That means that they can grab stuff with it! Hmmm….. I am going to have to think twice about letting my kids get close to them at the zoo next time!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.