Breakfast foods have been my go to blog posts lately and I couldn’t be more happy! Blueberry Banana muffins are the perfect breakfast comfort food or even on the go snack.
Fresh Blueberries combined with the sweetness of bananas and then topped off with a sugar crunch topping puts these muffins at the top of my all time favorite breakfast dessert! There is just something about that combination and the crunch of the sugar topping that makes my heart sing!
Any muffin with blueberries in it always brings me to my school girl happy place. So I decided to add the bananas in them for that extra special touch. Such a great combination!
Whenever I am at a Bakery or even a gas station, I will grab an Otis Spunkmeyer blueberry muffin or any freshly made one. This was always my quick go to breakfast on my way to high school or even before a soccer game.
Oh the memories of these moist muffins brings me back to my younger days. However, have you seen the price of one of those muffins today? I am better off making my own!
All of these ingredients are in your pantry. Well, except maybe the fresh blueberries. However, they are readily available since summer is around the corner!
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Baking soda and powder
- Vanilla extract
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen
Tips for Banana Blueberry muffins
- Don’t over mix muffins. If you do, they will not be light and fluffy.
- Be sure to use overripe bananas as they are easier to smash, sweeter because starch has converted to sugar, and more aromatic!
- Dust the blueberries in flour before folding in batter. This will prevent them from bleeding into the batter and from sinking to the bottom while baking.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. Freeze for up to 3-4 months.
How to make Blueberry Banana muffins
First, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a standard muffin pan with non stick spray and set aside. Wash blueberries and dry. In a small bowl, mix blueberries and flour together. Set aside.
Second, mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Whisk all the wet ingredients in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on medium or just until the batter is combined.
Third, gently fold in the dusted blueberries into the batter. Divide batter evenly into muffin pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Lastly, melt butter in a bowl and add sugar to another bowl. Dip cooled muffins into butter and then sugar. Serve and enjoy!
muffins to enjoy!
Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
Blueberry Banana muffins
- 1⅔ cup flour
- 3 large bananas mashed and over ripe
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup blueberries fresh or frozen
Muffin sugar topping
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
Blueberry Banana muffins
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease or line a standard muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, add the melted butter, granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on medium until just combined.
- Gently, fold in the blueberries. Divide batter evenly over the greased or lined muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, dip in melted butter and sugar. Serve and enjoy!
Fun fact of the day!
Blueberries can be a natural food dye! I can see that considering my 3 year old will smash them and has them all over his hands and it takes forever to get off!