Ladies and Gents, this is literally the best chocolate toffee eclair cake. It is a hybrid dessert (my favorite). An icebox cake with layers of graham crackers and toffee infused vanilla pudding and topped off with sweet chocolate frosting. This can be served after any special occasion and is super kid friendly! After the week I have had of being corona quarantined, I needed this deliciousness in my life!!!
What exactly an Eclair Cake?
A chocolate eclair cake is a hybrid dessert. It traditionally has layers or graham crackers with pudding and a whipped cream filling. Then it is topped off with homemade chocolate icing. A no bake, easy dessert that is super kid friendly! You can’t go wrong if you ask me!!!
I have seen so many variations of this dessert online, but I used a recipe from my family’s cookbook with an added twist of toffee bits infused in the pudding.
How to make the best Chocolate Toffee Eclair cake
In the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, layer graham crackers and alternating with vanilla toffee pudding. Do this until you have a total of 4 graham cracker layers. Set aside until you are ready to frost.
In a small saucepan combine the baking chocolate with the light corn syrup. Heat on medium heat until the chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat.
Add in the vanilla extract, butter, 2% milk and confectioner’s sugar. Mix until combined. Frost the top layers of the graham crackers.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. This is a MUST. Refrigerating the cake allows the graham cracker layers to soften, which gives this dessert its distinctive flavor and texture.
tips for eclair cake
- You will need at least 4 sleeves of graham crackers to get the four layers.
- Store the leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can prepare the eclair cake 2 days in advance as long as you cover and refrigerate it.
- You can use store bought chocolate frosting as long as you heat it up for 30 seconds before frosting the cake
Best Chocolate Toffee Eclair Cake
- Home Decor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sauce pan
- 9x13 glass baking dish
- 1 box graham crackers
- 2 pkg french vanilla pudding
- 2½ cup 2% milk
- 12 oz cool whip
- 1½ cup toffee bits
- 2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp 2% milk
- MIx pudding with milk in a medium mixing bowl. Fold in thawed cool whip. Pour in heath toffee bits. Set aside.
- Layer in a 9x13 baking dish; graham crackers, pudding mixture. Repeat until you have four layers of graham crackers.
- For the frosting, melt the chocolate and light corn syrup over medium heat. Stir until smooth. Add in the vanilla extract, butter, milk and confectioner's sugar. Mix until combined.
- Frost the top layer of graham crackers. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours until ready to serve.
Fun fact of the day!
The Cookie Monster had a real name. It’s Sid. No, seriously!!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.