What does one do with an abundance of Bananas and extra walnuts? You make the best banana cake with walnuts of course!
This banana cake is filled with fresh bananas, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salty chopped walnuts. In addition, it is super moist and dense enough that cream cheese frosting just slides perfectly on top. It can make the perfect breakfast cake or afternoon snack. Nonetheless, another dessert that is a star in my kitchen!
This past weekend we enjoyed our annual trip to the Wisconsin state fair and spent way more than we should have on rides, toys, and fried anything and everything. The kiddos enjoyed it most, and my hubby and I secretly say "Welcome to Hell" as we enter the park!
However, when we returned home I noticed those pesky fruit flies in my kitchen from overripe bananas that my children swore they were going to eat through out the week! Instead of throwing them away, I made the banana cake. At last minute, I threw the walnuts in.
Things you will love about this banana cake!
- Super easy to make and if you are a beginner baker give this recipe a shot!
- A great way to get rid of those extra bananas at the end of the week. Instead of a go to banana bread, this is banana cake with walnuts is a great alternative.
- Moist and sweet from the addition of sour cream, milk, and butter.
- It can be eaten at any time of the day, because it has bananas in it, right?
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Bananas: ripened are best for any cake or bread recipe.
- Sour cream: plain yogurt can also be used to give the cake its moisture.
- Ground cinnamon
- Cream cheese
- Confectioner's sugar
How do I store banana cake?
Banana cake with walnuts is best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days.
However, if you want to freeze the cake it is best done without the frosting. It can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw before frosting.
How to make a banana cake with walnuts
- Prep the kitchen and oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 cake pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Whisk dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients: In another mixing bowl, beat the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until well combined. On low, mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Add in other ingredients: Add in sour cream, milk, and smashed bananas until completely combined. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Bake cake: Transfer batter to prepared cake pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely.
- Make cream cheese frosting and top cake: Make cream cheese frosting and layer it on cake. Serve and Enjoy!
Variations and substitutions
- Use cake flour instead of all purpose flour to create a softer texture.
- Add in some chocolate chips.
- Make as a loaf cake, baking times will vary.
As with all breads or cakes that contain bananas, over ripened work best.
Banana bread has a more dense texture and cake is more like a traditional cake with added mashed bananas for flavor.
Banana cake with walnuts
- Electric mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9x13 cake pan
Banana cake with walnuts
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups banana mashed
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ¾ cup walnuts chopped
Cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- chopped walnuts optional
Banana cake with chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x13 cake pan with non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat both sugars and butter on medium until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Next, add in the sour cream, mashed bananas, and milk until incorporated. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Transfer batter to 9x13 prepared cake pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely.
Cream cheese frosting
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the confectioner's sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined.
- Frost cooled cake and serve!
- Cake without frosting can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Thaw before frosting.
- Place cake in airtight container and keep in fridge for up to 3 days
Desserts with cream cheese
Fun fact of the day!
A summer tip: the oils in the inside of banana skin can actually help inflammation and itching caused by insect bites!