You want to know what is better than a fried apple fritter from your local bakery? A baked apple fritter made in the comfort of your own home! In addition, they are super easy, delicious, and have already disappeared from my glad ware container that was sitting on my counter (darn kiddos).
A baked fritter made with canned original flaky biscuits, tart apples and a cinnamon glaze. They pull apart so easily and they can be popped in your mouth on the go in the morning or even for an afternoon snack! They are essentially made in the same way as my snickerdoodle monkey bread!
Memories being made over apples!
Making apple desserts has really been on my radar lately and truth be told, I love them! There is just something about a tart apple being baked into a dessert that screams, “the leaves are changing and I soon get to have a fire in the fireplace”.
However, this dessert was fun to make with my three year old Jacob. It is a super kid friendly dessert and we did it together. I was listening to country radio and he was focused on Mickey and the Roadster racers, but we managed to roll the dough balls, cut apples, and slap them on the parchment paper for baking. He even helped mix the cinnamon glaze (some on the counter).
With the two older kiddos in school now, I just have him home with me. I tell him all the time that it is his turn to get spoiled. Nonetheless, between the extra cake pops at Starbucks and a few bags of candy in the last week, he is winning at life! Pretty sure, he likes that the other two are at school now!
However, I am cherishing the time and activities with him because he is my last babe and I secretly don’t want him to grow up (except for getting out of diapers, stubborn boy). With two blog posts a week, I am sure he will be helping me with more!
What is in baked apple fritters?
What are the best apples for baking?
For this baked apple fritter recipe, I preferred to use a Granny Smith apple. Other apples that I have used in the past are Pink lady, Honey crisp, and Cortland.
The best apples for baking are ones that are tart and hold up and don’t become a mushy mess when baked. In addition, the tartness of the apple compliments the sweetness of the dessert. A match made in heaven!
Tips on how to make the best baked fritters!
- Be sure to cut the biscuit dough into 8-10 small pieces so you have enough to assemble a fritter that is 3 inches tall
- Use kitchen shears to cut biscuit dough as it will save you time!
- The more tart the apple, the better!
- Keep stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days! However, the fritters are best served right away!
How to make baked apple fritters
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Peel, core, and slice apples and place into a bowl until ready for use.
Second, but biscuit dough up into little balls. Put in large mixing bowl with cinnamon and sugar and mix until the dough is all covered. Fold in the chopped apples.
Third, using a cookie scoop or your hands, press together the fritter to make it roughly three inches tall. Melt butter in microwave and drizzle over fritters. Make glaze.
Lastly, bake for 18-20 minutes or until fritters are a golden brown color. Once the fritters have cooled off, drizzle cinnamon glaze on top and enjoy!
Baked apple fritters
- mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 16 oz original biscuits
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1½ cup confectioner's sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 tbsp 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Peel, core, and slice apple. Set aside.
- Cut the eight biscuits into 10 pieces. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cinnamon, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in chopped apple pieces.
- Drop about 4-5tbsp of dough onto the parchment paper, making each fritter into about 3 inches. Melt butter in microwave and drizzle over each fritter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until fritters are a golden brown in color. Prepare the cinnamon glaze. Cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and whisk until you get a pourable type consistency. Drizzle over cooled fritters and enjoy!
fun fact of the day!
Did you know that Pez candy even comes in coffee flavor?