The fourth of July is almost here and it is one of my favorite holidays. Simply because I get to start off my day with 4th of July pancake cereal. Mini pancakes topped with fresh blueberries, strawberries, whipped cream and patriotic maple syrup. They are easy to make and packed with so much flavor. My kiddos already gobbled these up that I had to make a second round for my blog!
What is pancake cereal?
What is pancake cereal, you ask? It is made by cooking many mini pancakes really small. They should be about the size of a dime or a little larger. You pile them all in a bowl and then they look like cereal! It is as easy as that!
This trend started in May 2020 from my favorite app called Tiktok It is seriously one of the best apps out there and I can’t stop scrolling for hours on end! It has slowly become an addiction of mine, but with that being said, many other great recipes have been created on there. Be sure to check it out, if you have not already! The whipped coffee recipe in my whipped coffee honey crumb donuts originated from there!
If you are a fan of crispier pancakes, this recipe is for you. Since these mini pancakes have a smaller surface area, they tend to crisp up more. So the pancake cereal is similar to eating any dry, crunchy cereal. So Delish!
How to eat pancake cereal?
Many tiktoker’s eat this cereal in a bowl (like cereal), pour syrup on top and then with finish off with a pad of butter. Nonetheless, many others put it in a bowl, drizzle with syrup and then pour milk on top! Not my preferred method, but to each there own I guess!
I made my mini pancakes and put them in a bowl, drizzled them with my patriotic red maple syrup, and then topped with fresh blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream! I love being creative and festive for the upcoming holidays!
Ingredients for pancake cereal
- 2% milk: You can substitute with whole milk as well. If you have only low fat milks on hand, it will just make the pancakes less flavorful.
- Large egg
- Canola oil: Vegetable oil can be used as well and will crisp up the pancakes even further if used.
- All-purpose flour: Whole wheat flour can be used as well.
- Unsalted butter: Can use salted butter, but omit salt out of the recipe.
- Baking Powder
- Granulated sugar
- If you don’t want to make your pancakes from scratch, you can use any Store bought Pancake mix. I prefer Aunt Jemima’s mix.
- Fresh blueberries and strawberries
- Maple Syrup
- Whipped cream
HOw to make 4th of July Pancake Cereal
- First, make the pancake batter. It’s super easy and doesn’t require an electric mixer. Whisk together the wet ingredients and then sprinkle the dry ingredients on top of wet ingredients and fold until combined. Pour into a piping bag. Prepare your garnishes ahead of time. Chop strawberries up and place red die in maple syrup.
- Preheat the non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. After it is preheated, lower the temperature to medium-low and brush with oil. Don’t have the temperature too high as the pancakes are so small they will burn!
- Cook the pancakes: Dollop small amount of batter (dime to quarter size) onto skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until set around the edges and lightly golden in color. Next, flip with a flat spatula and cook on the other side for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with garnishes. However, if you are making the pancakes in multiple batches you may keep warm in the oven. Place the mini pancakes on a baking sheet at 250 degrees.
Storage of pancake cereal
- Pancake batter can be made 1 day in advance until you are ready to use
- If you don’t want to eat the cereal right away, place in a ziplock bag and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months
MOre Breakfast recipes
4th of July Pancake Cereal
- mixing bowl
- Silicon Spatula
- flat spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wilton piping bag with ½ in round tip
- ½ cup 2% milk may use whole milk as well
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tsp canola oil plus more for skillet
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
4th of July Garnish
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries chopped
- whipped cream dollup on top
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- red food coloring for syrup
Mini pancake cereal
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, oil, and melted butter. Sprinkle the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt over the wet ingredients. Using a silicon spatula, to mix until just combined. The batter will be thick and have some lumps.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, use a pastry brush to brush a thin film of oil across the pan's surface. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag fitted with a ½ in round tip. Working quickly, pipe small dots of the pancake batter, each about between the size of a dime or a little bigger. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the edges of a pancake look dry and set. Use a stiff spatula to flip each pancake individually. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom of each pancake is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with the garnishes and enjoy!
fun fact of the day!
The internet weighs as much as one strawberry. Weird!